Puma 1.7 shutting off when coming to a stop

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumer_vroomer

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a Puma. I've just come back from checking one out, it's a 1998 with a 1.7 in a gorgeous red.

However, while on a test drive, as I was coming to a stop at an intersection, I put the car in neutral and it just shut off. I was able to repeat it a couple more times but not every time. For example, when I stopped at a downhill to test out the handbrake it didn't shut off.

The owner tried to tell me that it's the speed sensor, that it sort of doesn't know if the car is on flat ground or something, but it's too suspicious to me. He says that it's been doing that for a year and he drives it every day, giving it a blip of throttle when coming to a stop to prevent it from shutting off. Otherwise, the car runs and idles fine when you first start it up.

I admit that I haven't had much time to browse this forum and see if anyone had a situation like this.

The car is a 2 hour drive away from me, I only checked it out because I was coming back from vacation and it was only a minor detour. It's by far the best Puma available in my country that's currently for sale.

I'd kindly like to ask if someone has had such a problem and whether or not it would be an easy fix or not.

Thanks,
Tom

Weird this never came up in new posts. Only spotted it as I checked the unread post link.

Sounds like throttle position sensor or clutch position switch possibly too (both easy fixes). I forget exactly why it happens so I could be miles off & the guy was correct in what he was telling you which sounds reasonable, but hopefully me commenting on this may bump it into more eyes so someone who actually remembers/knows will comment lol :eek:k:

Back