Puma Rear End and Rust... again.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT66

So...

...the Puma went into my local and highly-rated bodyshop to have the right rear arch looked at again. Yes, it needs work, but that is only the start of the problem. :evil:

It appears that the dreaded ginger-disease has taken hold of the inside arches, too - exacerbated by the bloody horrid carpet-like liners which do an amazing job of retaining moisture (and salt from winter roads) against the metal. The Bodyshop, who are interested only in doing proper professional jobs (and knowing my dedication to my car), have advised full rear outer panels and inside rear wheelarches - I've had a look at the stripped-down car on their ramp, and agree. However, they are having problems tracking suitable Parts down. They even currently have someone checking with the old factory in Cologne, of all places. I'm happy with their advice as I don't want a sellotape-and-spit repair, and would rather have the car looked after properly.

I've read on forums here about the possibility of using Peugeot 206 Front Wings as replacement Panels - has anyone had any success with these at all? If that can be a workable solution, then it leaves the issue of the inner sections. Anyone had success with sorting these?

There is another option - a GRP bodykit from Pumaspeed, but in truth it would be a £4000 repair probably - a bit more than I can really spend, and at the moment the value of the cars isn't heading in the right direction to 'invest' that sort of money at this point in time.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Mike
I would have thought that you have no chance of getting inner arches but where they rot it's pretty easy just to use sheet steel cut and bent to shape as the rot is usually only in the bottom 3" or so of the arch. As for the 206 arches I've heard of this but never seen it done but, apparently, LHS Peugot goes to RHS Ford and vice versa. You could also go for the option of full rear wings from expressed panels if they will knock you some up.

The Arch Bishop had this done, back in 2012, scroll down pages 12 and 13 in the link, for before and after pictures.
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=10548&start=275

If Jamesfrp333, the member that bought it off the Arch Bishop, still has it, he should be able to let you know how they have fared nearly 6 years later.
Jegger being collected April 2017:

Thanks for the replies, guys - that thread is very interesting, Yog. It's the first time I've seen the result of using the Peugeot panels - not bad at all, especially if it helps keep my Puma on the road.

It's an odd one really, in that the Puma was pretty damned successful (with a waiting list of customers, I believe - very rare for a fairly mass-produced car), but that Parts are getting scarce as the years go by - and it's pretty frustrating. The car manufacturer I work for can provide panels and bodywork for cars a couple of decades old (and some for 1970's models), so it's annoying that Ford have nothing for a popular car just 20 years old. Oh well.

I've forwarded the Peugeot info on to my bodyshop guys in case they can make use of it, as well as the info for Ex-Pressed Panels.

Thanks again. :thumbs:

Ex-pressed panels will be doing outer quarters if the demand is there, and 206 wings are the best near-term solution.

The carpets are not actually the main problem, they rot from the inside seam out, along the crease and blow the seam in the arches themselves which is why the inner arches dissolve as it’s the meat in the rust sandwich!!

I’ve done a few, none to date we’re due to the carpet - this is my cherished black one in progress 8 years ago. It’s been used in hell and high water ever since, with carpets, but nothing at all came back as I treated the seam inside the car behind the speaker boxes.

Bearing in mind the car was only 8 years old at the time, there was still some patching required on the inners. Check the bottom of the inner sills too as these are also now hard to source.

Good news, and potentially worth shouting from the rooftops for the members here. :grin:

I've just had an email from Harriet at Ex-Pressed Steel Panels http://www.steelpanels.co.uk/ to say that they are hoping to take orders for the Puma Rear Quarter Panels later this year. Whoooohooo! My poorly Puma may yet be saved - once and for all!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I just need my bodyshop chaps to put mine back together - I'll have to put up with rusting arches for the summer, but hopefully it will back for a complete work-over later in the year.

If anyone else is interested it may worth to getting an email over to Harriet and the team at Ex-Pressed.

Latest posts

Back