Starter motor runs without start! (Need help)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

Hello guys good morning to all. Yesterday when i have tryed to start my puma, the starter motor made the noise of run, but the engine don't start, i have tryed much times and same problem, i have retryed few minutes later and the puma starts perfectly, what is this problem? I need to check the starter motor after all this years? Thanks to all

I would start by checking the battery voltage, but yes it could be the starter motor starting to stick

Thank you red! The battery is a new fiamm, i will check all the wires, but i'm going to refresh my starter motor :)

Today i have tryed to disasembly the starter motor, i have take out all the three bolts of it, but i can't take out the starter motor, i have seen that in the top there is a little bracket that it is screwed to the gearbox, i have tryed this under the car, but it seems like too much difficult i haven't space to work, now there is a correct method to disasembly this? Or i have another idea, since i have to clean the throttle body, if i remove this one and the intake manifold it is much easier to do? Thanks to all :?

Download Puma 1.7 Workshop Manual (Ford_Puma_Zetec_1.7L_EFI_Manual_Workshop_Manual_1997-2002_.pdf):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordpuma/files

0001.jpg
0002.jpg

Yes!!! Thank you guys! I did it! I have removed the fan like the work shop manual, and i have done the work! Thanks to all.
P.S. can i fix the old one? Or i have to buy a new one?

Fan won't lift up high enough to come out, and when it's moved at all it jams against the engine and dipstick housing.

Ahh, the delightful fun and pleasure of doing a job for the first time… enhanced (no doubt) by the need to have the car functioning and useable…
I wonder how much detached human flesh, blood… sweat and tears were shed on this one…? Since I started working on Audi TT’s, Pumas seem so easy and fun to work with…

Hi, I know this an old original thread, with a few new posts added to it in the last few days, since the site software upgrade, but I've got a comment about the original fault reported, which might prevent anybody needing to remove the starter motor in the first place!
The fault was reported as the starter motor turned, but didn't start the engine. Over the 20 years I had my Puma, it did a similar thing about 3 or 4 times. It sounded like the motor spun with a constant note, not with the usual "whir - whir - whir" sound of it reaching and passing the compression of the cylinders. In my case, that sounded like the pinion wasn't connecting with the flywheel and so not turning, or starting the engine.
To check if it was connecting with the flywheel, I put it into either 1st gear or reverse and CAREFULLY turned the key and the car lurched forward or backward a TINY bit, proving it WAS turning the engine, despite the unusual sound! As soon as I took it out of gear, it started the engine as normal, immediately and never gave any problems again for quite a few years!
I just thought I'd described what happened with me, in case anybody else has found this thread, looking to fix a similar problem.
CAUTION: IF YOU DO TRY STARTING IN GEAR, TAKE GREAT CARE THAT THE CAR CAN'T HIT ANY CLOSE OBJECTS OR PEOPLE!!! I was lucky enough to be able to do it on my garden driveway, out of harm's way!

Got this done. I found it easier to get the fan back in when I removed the 2 bolts on one side of the fan/radiator support beam. I should have done the same when getting the fan out.

Now I notice the fan doesn't spin when the car is started. Is that normal, or have I a broken fan?

Got this done. I found it easier to get the fan back in when I removed the 2 bolts on one side of the fan/radiator support beam. I should have done the same when getting the fan out.

Now I notice the fan doesn't spin when the car is started. Is that normal, or have I a broken fan?
By default the fan should not spin unless the coolant temperature is high enough to need it.

If you have A/C and turn that on the fan should spin.

If you unplug the coolant sensor (under the coil pack) that should force the fan to go in to high speed.

Latest posts

Back