Vibration damper/pulley spare part

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

According to the spare part list the number for this crank damper is 1087320.

I've done my usual searches around to find a replacement but they've all come up blank (or wrong part).

Does anyone know of a source for this? Mine isn't looking too healthy. To be expected I suppose but I'd rather it doesn't let go.

Attachments

• IMG_20220417_183914.jpg
    IMG_20220417_183914.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220417_183936.jpg
    IMG_20220417_183936.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220417_184018.jpg
    IMG_20220417_184018.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 90
I know the pulley off the 1.6 engine fits and does the job as that's what I have on my 1.7 engine, although it has a slightly different appearance.

Thanks. Presumably it can still be removed with one of those tripod puller things?

My one had some threaded holes to assist with removal, I cobbled together a puller but looks like I'd need something different for the 1.6 pulley.

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_164531.jpg
    IMG_20220419_164531.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20220419-164432.png
    Screenshot_20220419-164432.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 72
That's the one,

The story behind me ending up with a different pulley,

I mistakenly trusted a moron to change my cambelt while engine was out of car. He totally ruined the pulley removing it without using a puller. I happend to have an unwanted 1.6 engine, the pulley slid straight off of the 1.6 engine with no effort at all. After comparing the 2 pulleys and deciding they were pretty much the same (but different if you know what I mean) I paid someone else to replace belt and refit 1.6 pulley on to 1.7 engine.

My crank pulley is the same on my rebuild engine project.The 1.6 pulley inner diameter is listed as 25.04mm.My 1.7 measures 24.6.Guessing thats why it slips straight off a 1.6 crank without a puller.Did you fit a 1.6 item Grogee?

No I just refitted the original. Haven't found a suitable replacement yet

My get around is to fit a 1.6 pulley but I'm getting it
and my crank keywayed as its not an interference fit.Easy if the engines stripped!

Pugmanaught said:
My get around is to fit a 1.6 pulley but I'm getting it
and my crank keywayed as its not an interference fit.Easy if the engines stripped!

You do not need to key way the 1.6 pulley when fitting onto the 1.7 engine. My original pulley had been replaced by Fords with the 1.6 pulley when they replaced the timing belt. They used a load of loctite threadlock to take up the 0.5mm gap. With the immense torque needed on the crank bolt, it won't move once that goes off.

I know this because when I replaced the timing belt after a number of years , it didn't have the 2 threaded holes and had to be pulled off with a 3 leg puller.

You do not need to key way the 1.6 pulley when fitting onto the 1.7 engine. My original pulley had been replaced by Fords with the 1.6 pulley when they replaced the timing belt. They used a load of loctite threadlock to take up the 0.5mm gap. With the immense torque needed on the crank bolt, it won't move once that goes off.

I know this because when I replaced the timing belt after a number of years , it didn't have the 2 threaded holes and had to be pulled off with a 3 leg puller.
With an 8k rev limit on mine I'll not be taking any chances. Apparently the race spec engines have a habit of slipping their timing sprockets.

I did an extensive search for a replacement 1.7 pulley and drew a blank from both Ford & aftermarket suppliers, ended up getting a good used one but worth knowing for the future that the 1.6 one can be fitted too👍

Hello Dolomite 16v
I need a New Lower Crankshaft Pulley Vibration Damper for my FRP - Ford No longer list this item, nothing is coming up on Google searches where did you
get your used part from ?

Hi,
I ended up getting one from Tanygroes Car Dismantlers: 01239 811008.
They are based in Wales but got a good used part to me next day for around £25👍

Anyone know why ford bothered to fit a different (but very similar) crankshaft pulley on a 1.7 when they could have just used the 1.6 one, which looks like it is also used on the focus and fiesta?!

Ford /yamaha used a different and forged crankshaft on the 1.7 I believe.

Last edited:
Ford /yamaha used a different and forged crankshaft on the 1.7 I believe.
Thanks for the info... Not sure why they wouldn't have made the crankshaft end to match the 1.6 standard pulley diameter though? Something to do with balancing?

Some websites seem to suggest there's also a 12mm difference on the belt mounting diameter, seems a bit pointless?

Don't get these Ford chaps 😂

Latest posts

Back