We are in the doldrums

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboard

Just saying something we all know..
We are probably at the low point in terms of value of our Pumas.
It’s the same for Mk 1 Audi TT’s - lots of dead and dying cars around and people don’t want to spend the money on repairs.
Lots of parts available though so if you can tough it out, hang on to her.
Another 5 years and it will have started coming good 😊

More than likely. They've been rock bottom value for a long time now hence no one wants to fix something that's not worth anything. Now it's getting to the point where that will turn and you won't be able to find a 'cheap' one for much longer I'd say.

I think that prices are rising slowly, but definitely rising. As far as I can determine there are less than 2,500 Puma's left on the road and by this time next year it'll probably be less than 2,000.
I'm only in my 3rd. year of Puma ownership, I do attend a lot of classic cars shows and meets, (7 in 9 days, planned from Saturday the 6th. May) and the interest in either of my Puma's has increased a lot, in 2021 I had hardly any interest, last year a lot more and even more interest this year.
I also think that FRP's have the same background as the Sierra RS500's, only 500 made, built by Tickford etc. and in 20 years time the price could well be in the region the RS500's are now, one low mileage RS500 recently sold for over £550,000.
I may well be wrong, but time will tell.

Yeah but fella, great engine as it was, the RS500 was butt ugly.
I’ve got a 1985 Suzuki RG500 in the garage, I paid £1500 for it in 1990. I get people offering over £15k for it - like the RS500, it’s just not worth it but people seem to want it.
Unlike the Puma, a really iconic design.

Hi.
I have spent thousands on my puma if you read my thread. I expect to pay heavily for the welding work this week. If I had thought about value I would have scrapped it about 10 years ago. Having owned it for 19 years I am a bit to heavily into it, so I am not worried. It is my hobby besides, I would have spent loads of money on replacement cars . If money was no object I would buy a MkII Jag and still keep the Puma and give it a full nut and bolt rebuild.,

Nooooooo
Life, is all about what’s around the corner as it could bring yours to a close very quickly..
I’m more bikes than cars, well, just a petrol head - big time baby!

I think I saw Pumas were worth about £600 2 or 3 years ago. They are creeping up from there at least.
I have to have more welding done this year but I am keeping her going because I think that the shape is something amazing and the car is a bit special. As I am never going to sell mine the price doesn't matter but I would appreciate it if more parts were available.
More than ever they stand out from the crowd too.

I’ve got a 1985 Suzuki RG500 in the garage

🥰

I bought a new RG125 in 89' as I needed cheap transport for work (riding a pushbike 11 miles each way in all weathers got boring fast).

I loved that little RG so when I saw a late registered 89' RG500 Pepsi for sale for £5k in 90' I wanted it immediately but hadn't yet passed my test which was due just 4 weeks later. I thought it'd be fine as they couldn't shift the things back then.

I went back a week later & the damn thing had been snapped up! - just my damn luck. I was gutted but that quickly changed as they had a brand new gixxer 1100 on discount for only £4999 to clear! (Pre facelift).
I said I'd have it but could they hold it for 3 weeks as I was still too scared to commit there & then in case I failed my test. They said they couldn't.

Well I passed my test & went straight to the shop but they'd sold it THAT MORNING!! 🤬

Probably for the best regarding my life as that would have been an insane step up. I luckily had a backup plan as the new ZZR600 had recently been released so I went to the Kwaka dealer up the road & said I'd buy one if I could have it TODAY!.

Rode a brand new one home that same afternoon 😍

My mom wasn't too happy, went out on my RG & came back on a ZZR. That got stolen 7 months later, damnit, so bought back my RG (Yes, the shop still had it sat in storage!!) to tide me over which I kept for many, many years anyway as a keepsake - until some scrote saw me test ride it one day after many months restoring it, it got stolen shortly afterwards & said scrote got his just rewards shortly after that.
As kids & cars came along bikes were already on the back burner for the most part.

Not rode a bike since I ditched my Cagiva in 2008 & did my knee in. Decided then that I was done with bikes & ended up giving my long time garaged FZR600RR away to a friend for doing my back garden - bad trade as he did a half arsed job. 😤

Wow - that ended up being a part life story just from the word RG500 being mentioned 🤪

Last edited:
That’s because the RG500 is the closest thing you will get to a period correct 2 stroke 500cc GP bike..
Have an assortment of bikes - RD500’s, R1, R6, ZX6R, FZR1000, RD350LC, RD350YPVS, air cooled RD’s, RSV1000R x 2 etc etc
Lotsa bikes

Pumas all disappeared in Ireland about 5 years ago. It happened overnight. There were 2 or 3 pages of them, then 2 or 3 cars total, then none.

I'm on my 3rd and as the previous one was crapped as needed more welding than a QE class aircraft carrier, I bought a MIG welder and taught myself how to weld. Thus far only the seat belt anchors and a small area of the sill that needed attention, but this one ain't going to the scrap yard. Rear sills have only required some filler, but I'll be ready for them when they go the way of the dodo.

Not planning to sell, but when I do I'd like to think that they'll indeed be such a rare classic and I'll get some money back! Not in it for the money by any stretch of one's imagination...in it for the fun.

That’s because the RG500 is the closest thing you will get to a period correct 2 stroke 500cc GP bike..
Have an assortment of bikes - RD500’s, R1, R6, ZX6R, FZR1000, RD350LC, RD350YPVS, air cooled RD’s, RSV1000R x 2 etc etc
Lotsa bikes
Know the feeling. Slabby Gamma and a Puma this end too!

Also I know people that like them but I am not going to spend too much time crying over the demise of the MK 1 Audi TT. I once read a review that said that when they were built, they forgot to put the fun in!

Also I know people that like them but I am not going to spend too much time crying over the demise of the MK 1 Audi TT. I once read a review that said that when they were built, they forgot to put the fun in!
That’s so true which is why they are a great route to cheap speed.
With a healthy motor, a remap and a high flow cat you get to a sensible and reliable 275hp.
That’s when you find the handling is sublime and you can get off the line well at the traffic lights Grand Prix…
And the sound…. Oh my

That’s so true which is why they are a great route to cheap speed.
With a healthy motor, a remap and a high flow cat you get to a sensible and reliable 275hp.
That’s when you find the handling is sublime and you can get off the line well at the traffic lights Grand Prix…
And the sound…. Oh my
o_Oo_O

Latest posts

Back