wee puma's milly!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

Decided To start a project thread as well its turned into a project!

I'am no stranger to the puma as I have owned 3 previously, we hadn't owned a puma for a couple of years when one saturday morning was having a browse on gumtree and seen an advert for a milly interior had a look and they wanted £200 for the full car, so on a whim went to see the car, it had an overheating issue but we werent worried about it, it looked like a £200 car but it had 6 months MOT and 8 months tax so we decided it was worth a shot!

Once we got the car home we gave it a rough going over to see what other issues it had

this is her the day we got her home

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

We started by investigating the overheating bought a new thermostat and housing bled the cooling system but the issue was still there we then went onto a raidiator but sadly was still over heating and lastly we changed the HCV and this solved the problem!

next we changed the rear lights as both had cracks in them, I was lucky enough to have kept a set from a previous puma

we then moved on to the steering wheel as it was almost upside down when the road wheels were straight and the steering went from heavy to light when turning the wheel on inspection there was a problem with the securing bolt on the bottom of the column

image.php

clearly wasnt the bolt that was meant to be there as it was rubbing off the plastic housing and causing the heavy feeling in the steering when it caught it, problem solved with a new bolt from ford amd straightened the steering wheel

we then moved on to do a temp repair on the rear arches it had been done previously prior to our ownership and had a really bad paint job you will see on the pics it had a kind of crackle effect!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

After we got this far i just ran about in it until MOT time in march last year and it failed

Failure list

2 tyres
2 macpherson strut bearings
anti roll bar bushes
back box
rear parking brake efficiency 13%

We did start repairing it but we got side tracked but some of our other cars and sadly it has sat on axle stands on the drive for the best part of a year but as previously mentioned I came home to find the car wide open as the folk that go round looking for scrap decided to have a rake through it and this spurred us on to decide the cars future so we decided to fix her up so in the last 2 weeks she's had a fair bit of work done so far

2 wishbones, drop links, anti roll bar bushes, track rod ends, shocks, springs, upper support bearings, discs, pads, centre section, back box, rear socks and various bolts nuts! the back brakes still need investigating it had new shoes just after we bought it but its probably gonna needs new drums and adjusters so thats where we're up too did more in 2 weeks than we've managed in 18 months of ownership!

theres still stuff to do before MOT like tyres and sorting the ABS out as all the sensors have been removed and the lights from the dash (hence the cracked screen on the clocks) but once we get it to pass we're gonna go for a proper arch repair and then see where we go from there

as soon as shes tested and presentable! back roads down to ayr could be interesting :grin:

shes pretty faded at the moment never really bothered about detailing before gonna have to learn how to lol

So today as the weather is crap here we have the seats out and brought them inside to clean does anyone know of any decent products for cleaning and conditioning the leather?

The Autoglym leather cleanser is supposed to be pretty good (and easy to find). I'm not sure that you need anything after that.

Went to halfrauds and got the auto glym leather cleaner and the condition balm and since it was 3 for 2 I got the vinyl and rubber care too I have got them all nice and cleaner and shiny while hubby has been grinding away rust on the door sills :?

I know what you mean, but mine cost 4 times yours before I even started! I've kept a track of everything I'm spending on my project and I'm almost wishing I wasn't. Still, I'm having lots fun learning how to get the most out of a 14 year old car! - I hope you do too.

She's isn't my first puma project but she is the most interesting one I have owned lol

If I was to actually add up what I've spent I think I might keel over!

I do love this car the puma is the reason I learned to drive and none of my other cars compare if this was any of our other cars I wouldn't have spent this much I'd have given up and got something else .... Well with the exception of the focus which has also gone through similar work .... I must be mad lol

So while my bank balance is waiting for pay day we decided to do some interior work seats came out

image.php

pretty manky in there!

so hubby dumped the seats in the living room and told me to get cleaning :eek:

only took one before pic

image.php

after

image.php

image.php

used autoglym leather cleaner then used the conditioning balm they dont look much different in the photos but they came up pretty well

as they were out the car got a chance to see that they have a couple of imperfections
drivers seat

image.php

image.php

passenger

image.php

also fitted these

image.php

and hubby started to tackle this

image.php

hopefully manage to get a bit more done today weather permitting!

also my speedo clocks have a crack in the front of them is it possible to just change the plastic from another set of clocks or am i better just changing the whole unit? trying to find one with a similar mileage isnt going to be easy :-(

If I recall, you can split the clear plastic away from the main unit (it has some little twist clips I think) but you have to remove the whole unit to do it. I'd check but mine is back in the car now!

its gonna have to come out anyway, I shall try and source a set locally and maybe get it done before the seats go back in as they are still in the living room lol

was a rather wet weekend but during a brief spell of sunshine we managed to get this done

before

image.php

after

image.php

dont think the door plate is reusable as it didnt come off easy :-(

next job is to replace the speedo clocks, I just need to find a replacement set!

Wow it looks good. Top work you are doing. I want that interior for my puma.

Latest posts

Back