What car have you been obsessing about today?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ref]yippeekiay[/ref], if you ever did decide to move on from the Rex, let me know the details as I'm coming up to the point where I could consider a more interesting car in my line up!

Already moved on - I got my Ka :roll:

The Rex will likely stay as a garage queen for the foreseable future, ok, garage peasant actually as it's covered in dust. It hasn't been driven since March 2020 apart from moving it out onto my drive once this January. Started first time but sounded a bit lumpy for a few seconds, not sure if that's the old fuel affecting it or something more sinister - either way, I don't care. It's staying put for now :twisted:

Actually received a recall for it only a couple of weeks back - something to do with a possible fuel leak from the tank so I better keep an eye on that or syphon out the 3/4 tank of fuel :hide:

Yeah I'd keep it too if I were you :) that's basically where I'm at with my Fireblade now

red said:
Yeah I'd keep it too if I were you :) that's basically where I'm at with my Fireblade now

Yippee, I somehow just connected the dots...I had previously mentioned spending some time in Teeside and you replied that you were from around there. It just dawned on me that one of my neighbors while I was there had an RX-8...I wonder how many of them there could be up there?
I lived in the Eaglescliffe neighborhood and there was a little red RX-8 in my parking lot some days. Was that you by any chance? this was January/February 2020.

mmc757 said:
red said:

Yippee, I somehow just connected the dots...I had previously mentioned spending some time in Teeside and you replied that you were from around there. It just dawned on me that one of my neighbors while I was there had an RX-8...I wonder how many of them there could be up there?
I lived in the Eaglescliffe neighborhood and there was a little red RX-8 in my parking lot some days. Was that you by any chance? this was January/February 2020.

As Matt posted, mine is Black. Was brought up in Eaglescliffe but moved away when I was 15, still commuted daily to Eaglescliffe for school & then sixth form afterwards which was a pain in the arse :lol:

And here is a better picture - I think - of my Rex :D

RX8.jpg

Hi everyone. Remember me?

Anyway, in the best of traditions, a car quandary for you. This is all paid off as of next month, and owes me nothing. (It's a Volvo V40 D3 by the way). It does nearly 60 mpg regularly, sounds alright (ish) for a 5 cyl diesel, and hasn't really put a foot wrong in the three years and nearly 50,000 miles I've owned it. It's now on almost 80K.

I'm tempted to keep hold of it as my daily, for all of the reasons outlined above. It is, however, pretty dull to drive. I'm feeling the draw back to petrol, specifically something small, impractical and coupe-ish - a GT86 or Mk4 MX-5 or the like for which I'd probably chop in the V40 for. The other option is to keep hold of it and get something cheaper as a weekend car and run the V40 until it's done (and it's got loads of life in it yet).

Other considerations:

- My commute is 75 miles round trip, and as the dog comes to work with me too, he needs to fit.
- I've gotten used to lots of MPG, and when I was running my Fiesta ST for the same commute, fuel bills were starting to stack up. Would a newer larger petrol engined car be worth it?
- Two car garage running costs. My other half thinks it's a terrible idea (the house needs loads of stuff doing to it, and realistically two cars is a bit silly). Then again, she isn't a petrolhead... :hide:

Thoughts?

Hi Neil! :shock:

I'm in a similar frame of mind with the ZS Focus, the car has loads of life and doesnt miss a beat (except for some currently faulty window wipers).

I barely drive anywhere now, but the ZS is the family car, so I do kinda need to keep something with space for the 500 mile round trips to visit family.

I really like the GT86 and actually have a half buy in from the boss on the look of them which is something. At least these have back seats as well so could if needed haul the kids around :cool:

Neil said:
Hi everyone. Remember me?

...Mk4 MX-5 or the like... the dog comes to work with me too, he needs to fit.

- I've gotten used to lots of MPG... Fiesta ST for the same commute, fuel bills were starting to stack up.

Would a newer larger petrol engined car be worth it?

:funny:
It sounds like you've got some conflicting emotions around the idea of a new car...I get that and went through it recently myself.
It seems like if you were unhappy with the mileage on a FiST, you are probably going to be unhappy with the mileage on just about any Petrol car.
Also, unless your dog is very small, carrying him in an MX-5 will be...cozy. And even if he is very small, you will get to work smelling like dog.

It sounds like you really want a great drivers car but practical considerations are making it tough for you to pull the trigger.

I recommend looking at the VW TDI's...Golf or Jetta. Really great drivers cars, torque for days, still very practical.

001.jpg

As a late reply - yes! Ordered April, got from dealers December and finally picked it up from the detailers with full PPF this week.

NCa5HpaX.jpg

It reminds me so much of my old Puma! Yes it's RWD rather than FWD which brings it's own differences, but it's at heart a lightweight (for modern cars) little coupe that's easy to chuck about.

It's been "challenging" to have a new RWD over the winter in the snow and ice but it's probably better that way and exploring the grip as things get warmer rather than the other way around.

Now I'm out the running in period, the 2.4 NA is loosening up nicely and sounds so much better now I've turned the fake engine noise off.

Think even the dogs appreciate the "boxer" engine.. :ROFLMAO:

IMG20230122141613.jpg

As a late reply - yes! Ordered April, got from dealers December and finally picked it up from the detailers with full PPF this week.

NCa5HpaX.jpg

Superb choice! (I’d have chosen one of these over a Grrrrr Yaris as well).

Reactions: Dal

Latest posts

Back