What fuel do you use? E10 or 99?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes is the answer you your question.
Looks like you’re using dash commander possibly???
There’s no map and remap capability. It’s trimming the engine variables in exactly what you mention which is why it’s so vital to keep the throttle body and MAF sensor as clean as possible.

what ECU do you have?
Not sure! I have a Nov 99 1.7 R engine and it is the original ECU.
Olly at OC Motorsport did it.
I noticed fuel economy changing g before I had it mapped as it had been standing fir a while and drank like a fish for a couple of rides before it straightened itself out before I had remapped it. I read ages ago that itwas better to map for 99 ( I wanted the E5 to be kind to her) or it would be a waste of the octane!

Last edited:
Yes is the answer you your question.
Looks like you’re using dash commander possibly???
There’s no map and remap capability. It’s trimming the engine variables in exactly what you mention which is why it’s so vital to keep the throttle body and MAF sensor as clean as possible.
No "Dash Commander". What you see is the Torque App connected to a normal OBDII adapter. I think you misunderstand the function of an ECU. The ECU has a base map, also known as the "Limp Mode" Map. The Base Mode map is dynamically remapped by the engine sensors as the ECU scans them while the engine is running. Any sensor not responding during its scan window will turn on an Engine Warning Light. So of course the ECU is CONSTANTLY remapping (within a determined range) while the engine is running. Any errors historic or current are shown in the erasable ECU Code logs. This is the most obvious example of the ability of the ECU to write data. If it couldn't write data, the car would default to a get-you-home Limp mode - and believe me, you would know when that happens. When you have your car remapped, the default map is updated in a number of ways. On an NA engine, that comprises of the fuel map, the fuel grade (knock) map, the traction control map, the rev limit map, advance/retard map and many others. the base map can be downloaded, stored and uploaded again to reset the ECU. So lots of writing going on every second.

Two very common "factory" changes to the ECU map are MPG fiddles and is to pass drive-by noise regulations. This is a deliberate flattening of the engine's power curve to lower the exhaust dB level to pass the EU noise output standard or improve the MPG, which is always measured at a certain speed. Think of it as the car being automatically castrated at that specific speed. Simply removing this will boost power.

But I have no intention of pursuing some sad forum fight about my view with you, I offered my opinion, its up to you what you do with it. Can I leave it here - its not fair for people to listen to a thread that is not helping anyone. ECU (Electronic Control Unit) explained

Back