Workshop manual?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a couple of hours of fiddling today, I managed to get TIS working on a Windows 11 machine in a virtual XP environment via Microsoft's Hyper-V. Bit of a learning curve there at every step but it worked out. VMWare might have been easier, but I started with Hyper-V and persevered. Windows 7 may also have been a better idea than XP, but I hadn't realised it worked on that version until I looked back at a post here.
Nice, I thought there must be a native virtual environment option in Windows 11, over and above comparability mode, but the guides I started looking at were listing multiple third party options like VMware etc etc. I'll take another look at it now I know to try Hyper-V.

Nice, I thought there must be a native virtual environment option in Windows 11, over and above comparability mode, but the guides I started looking at were listing multiple third party options like VMware etc etc. I'll take another look at it now I know to try Hyper-V.
Word of warning -
Hyper-V is very limited in ability share USB drives, folders or any other kind of storage from the host machine, which is why I had so much trouble getting the Installation files accessible from the XP environment. If you can configure networking to a NAS or something then that might work, but I've not configured XP networks in 20 years and that seemed way too complex to achieve.
The solution I found was that fortunately you can mount an ISO image as a drive from within the environment windows menu bar. It acts as though you're inserting a DVD, which is fine. I did need to put the ISO file on the host machine itself (not on a network drive) which was another nuisance.

Word of warning -
Hyper-V is very limited in ability share USB drives, folders or any other kind of storage from the host machine, which is why I had so much trouble getting the Installation files accessible from the XP environment. If you can configure networking to a NAS or something then that might work, but I've not configured XP networks in 20 years and that seemed way too complex to achieve.
The solution I found was that fortunately you can mount an ISO image as a drive from within the environment windows menu bar. It acts as though you're inserting a DVD, which is fine. I did need to put the ISO file on the host machine itself (not on a network drive) which was another nuisance.
At work we investigated running diagnostic tools in Hyper-V for automated testing on vehicles.
Many official tools won't work due to two issues. The HW ID and Usb Rndis devices (VCI's). Only VMWare is an option for us.
Virtualbox is also quite good and free to use :)

I set up a Windows 7 x64 VM in VMware Workstation Player (didn't have Win 11 Pro for Hyper-V on my Surface tablet), but when i tried to install TIS it said it couldn't be installed on this version of Windows. Maybe i needed to use a 32bit version of Windows 7. I then failed to get a working ISO for XP SP3 so I'll probably have another go on the weekend.

I set up a Windows 7 x64 VM in VMware Workstation Player (didn't have Win 11 Pro for Hyper-V on my Surface tablet), but when i tried to install TIS it said it couldn't be installed on this version of Windows. Maybe i needed to use a 32bit version of Windows 7. I then failed to get a working ISO for XP SP3 so I'll probably have another go on the weekend.
I think this was the one I used: https://ia902705.us.archive.org/24/...l_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso

Here you may download the original Ford TIS disk image. Unfortunately it needs to run under a Win7 Virtual Machine. Let me know if you'd like to have the full image, but be aware it'll be a huge download.

Your welcome.

PS: If you need Ford IDS let me also know :)

Hi Sjoerd.
I would appreciate a copy of the IDS, if you're able to post a link to a download.
Thanks

Hi Sjoerd.
I would appreciate a copy of the IDS, if you're able to post a link to a download.
Thanks

Let me have a look later this week. Next few evenings I'll be busy.

Hopefully next week I can have a go to convert my 6516-Generic VCI to a Ford one. Otherwise I'll use another brands' and see if I can convert it. If it works I will post a manual. On eBay the VCM-2 prices are going through the roof, no fun for a hobby mechanic like us, but there should be ways to get it cheaper :)

PS: In case you wonder; I am the responsible engineer to deal with all diagnostic hardware for another OEM. We happen to use similar tools as Ford so getting it all to work for my Puma / Mondeo is kind of my hobby project now.

Latest posts

Back