Would FRP brakes fit in standard propeller wheels?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubatoo

Puma Supporter
Hi, I run a standard 1.7.
The only thing that has ever really bothered me is the brakes. Although if you stamp on the pedal hard enough they are there, it always feels like it is going to be a while before they do anything!
I guess this feeling is not helped by my driving my Mini and Focuses in general. The other half's mk3 will have you catapulted through the windscreen if you even think about stopping!
I recently read that the FRP had uprated brakes, I have forgotten the make. I know there can be some problems fitting uprated brakes because of the original wheel size but wondered about the FRP ones.
I am a diehard and wouldnt swap my props for anything!

No. There's no chance of those Alcon fitting behind standard wheels.

Not only that but they are a high maintenance setup that costs a lot.

I'd be looking at any other alternative and the ST150 has been done before. Again not sure about fitting behind props though.

St150 calipers and carriers what i'd recommend if you want to keep the props. Although the they can be relatively expensive as initial outlay - discs and pads aren't expensive I got coated genuine Ford discs and textar pads for a good price.

St150 calipers and carriers what i'd recommend if you want to keep the props. Although the they can be relatively expensive as initial outlay - discs and pads aren't expensive I got coated genuine Ford discs and textar pads for a good price.
I had thunder wheels when I fitted ST150, fitted no problem I'm sure they'd fit behind the props also, quick search on the forums on here should confirm it

The later Pumas 2002 have larger front brakes.
When I bought my millennium I fit the later bigger brakes, went from 238mm to 258mm. There was a slight increase in braking performance. I'm now getting the parts together for the st150 setup which is a 278mm disc.
Here's a picture of the original 238mm disc next to the 258mm and a 320mm focus st disc.
FB_IMG_1680369092138.jpg

That's interesting, my red Puma has the smaller discs and my 2001 MSB one has the 258mm ones. I thought the brakes on the red one would be terrible, but I can hardly notice the difference. Think I'll be leaving it with the small discs, as I'm not a heavy brake user and find them quite adequate for road use.

The smaller ones are adequate for 'normal' driving. I found during spirited driving where you're working them more they would suffer fade. I upgraded to the later ones which is a nice straight swap and they didn't seem to fade as much. (We're winding my memory back to 2008/9 though o_O)

Latest posts

Back