Fiesta

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the engine is out I'm going to unhook the exhaust and pull it out in one piece.
I need to fit a Puma CAT and fit a new centre section so the old Fiesta system can be hacked up as and when I get fed up of tripping over it.

Good progress made today. The engine is ready to be pulled out..

image_zpskioi6fao.jpeg

image_zpsmqvck2vi.jpeg

The Puma engine mount (drivers side) is different to the Fiesta one because the bolts are in different places. I was hoping to remove the mount completely from the fiesta block but it wont fit around the edge of the cam belt cover on the Puma lump so I need to buy another mount.

I got some parts transferred over to the Puma lump so there is less to swap over after it's fitted.

Mount for the PAS pump (location of the A/C pump on the Puma) and coolant pipes on the thermostat housing. I will put the securing clips on properly when I remember to take my large grips to the garage..

image_zpstg3jueti.jpeg

Aux belt and tensioner from the Fiesta on ready..

image_zpstmqsa2lu.jpeg

Clutch back on..

image_zpsgrc1jkuy.jpeg

I was going to fit the almost new slave cylinder from the Puma box in to the Fiesta box but the connection from the clutch fluid line is different on the Puma and I'm not sure if I can make the Puma slave cylinder fit in to the Fiesta fluid line.
* The mallet isn't there because I've been hitting things... It's stopping the engine from falling over!

The PAS pump is looking a bit sorry for itself..

image_zpsubkrdbyn.jpeg

From what I've seen there has at some point been a coolant leak from the Fiesta thermostat housing. I'm undecided as to whether I will replace the pump or just suck it and see. It'll be easy to get to if I did change it at a later date.

Where abouts did you pick this up from? Built one like this for my ex but I put a disguised 1.4 in it. She loved it.

Hi Stu

Thanks for the offer of the mount. I should hopefully be going round some scrappies with a friend at the weekend so I'm going to see what I find then. I also need the proper bolts to mount the alternator as mine seem to have moved themselves to an unknown location!

The water pump has already been done.

I have got the aux belt correct as I'm running PAS but no A/C:

I've recently changed my job and haven't really had any spare time to do anything on the Fiesta.

I've also moved home and had to sell the engine and spares from my Thunder that I was going to use to help pay for removals etc.

The good news is I sold the engine and spares to a friend who wanted to put them in his Mk5 Zetec S so they didn't go to just anyone.
Even better news is my friend lost interest in the project, despite me doing all of the work for him and has sold the car to me!

I only bought the Mk4 because everyone does the Puma conversions to the Mk5.

But as my friend decided to sell this after I put the Puma engine in it for him and I've always had a soft spot for them, it made sense to buy it.

And don't worry Barry, it won't be having an FRP inlet on it!

Progress been slow as I work nights and spend most of the day sleeping!

Changed the inner parts of the headlights to black as I didn't like all the silver..

00f95f4bb7d5eba504b01482a612c105_zpsykanceum.jpg

Painted the engine cover...

7C4785D5-456A-4DF4-BE12-45855035C448_zpsel1djvhp.jpg

ST150 calipers fitted with new pads and discs...

7019B7CE-46CA-405B-9C08-7A03664BCA49_zpshk78xno5.jpg

Slowly getting her tidied up but that faded strip on the bumper certainly needs a little something!

A6E7A7E7-0E1F-480A-B5AF-0C622743C330_zps29ptxkgm.jpg

The best remedy for that is to heat it up with a heat gun or hairdryer. It's remarkable how quickly it renovates it, and doesn't wash off like wax or, erm, peanut butter.

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]350857[/post] The best remedy for that is to heat it up with a heat gun or hairdryer. It's remarkable how quickly it renovates it, and doesn't wash off like wax or, erm, peanut butter.
I have heard/read that doing that doesn't actually last very long.... unless you've seen/experienced otherwise..?

Do it at work on a few cars, and it always seems to still be good after 6 months or so. I think sometimes the plastic has gone too far or the cars continue to spend a lot of time in direct sunlight which makes it go bad again. And it's not as though it can't be done again.

I've recently changed jobs again which means I now have the weekends to play with the car, but can't do anything too major until I get my first wage. So, I've played around doing bits and bobs with whatever materials I have laying around.

Whenever I used to drive round a bumpy corner the back end would jump all over the place making the car very unpredictable. This was solved by a new pair of rear shocks.

I stripped the front fog lights wiring and relay from the original Fiesta loom and fitted that back in so the fog now work with the original wiring..

795F4D66-33DB-40F4-B6B7-F8E2075D5F8A_zpstx6isy2r.jpg

Plastic strip on front bumper painted..

1D4ABCA4-F4B9-439B-90DE-B80B8721A6A4_zpsdgw90voh.jpg

Few parts in the engine bay painted red..

48956B47-6DB1-4F9E-B608-75BBCD27133B_zps5rjqnmou.jpg

Got a rear strut brace from Neil which I cleaned up and painted red..

07D852E2-6467-47D0-99D1-76D567B3E3A7_zpsfqbj1llp.jpg

36A1B669-1BFD-49C5-8AD4-FF53BA87A2C1_zpsdwbzxqsm.jpg

No major updates on the Fiesta.

As with the Pumas, I've always hated the crap green dash lights, so I changed them to white.

12CB9FFF-0AF3-46E0-B5E0-040FE543F147_zps4ttb9lcu.jpg

I found the original dials from the Thunder Puma which donated the engine to this Fiesta. I have calculated that the engine has now done just over 155,800 miles and is still going strong!

I decided to give myself the wonderful job of replacing the rear beam bushes and give the beam a freshen while it was off..

IMG_1550_zpssy2eh9yv.jpg

IMG_1551_zpso3nnznwu.jpg

Ideally it could have done with being sand blasted first but I couldn't afford that luxury!

Small update:

One job I wanted to sort sooner than later which was to get rid of the nasty jubilee clips that were securing the fuel pipes to the fuel rails. I replaced them with some aeroquip fittings.

IMG_1260_zpsv8p3mrz8.jpg

I didn't like the upper grille so I got robbed for a sheet of mesh from Halfrauds and made my own.

0184e1753b9fecfe28d977fc9733e251_zpsw7uajdtw.jpg

Unfortunately over the last few weeks the car has been 'laid up' with no MOT.
Its had an ABS issue due to me fitting 20mm spacers to the rear, the drivers door bottom hinge had sheared itself from the door due to a seized hinge pin and a couple of little niggly bits that needed doing.

I have laid my hands on another Puma'd Mk5 Fiesta that I'm using as a donor.

First job was to swap the drivers doors which was a total nightmare. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the remaining part of the bottom hinge from the car which has now rendered one door useless until I can get it welded back together.
Fitting the 'replacement' door wasn't much of a problem but as the other Fiesta has had some kind of front corner damage the door didn't quite line up.

A friend of mine has bought an MX5 project car which I'm helping him swap the engine on, so he bought me a new rear ABS loom as a thank you for helping him.

My other half converted her Nectar points into an Ebay voucher which almost paid for a lower strut brace. All I had to add was £3!

IMG_1584_zpsfp9tcagd.jpg

Also had a worrying time this afternoon as it was MOT time but that turned in to relief when I was presented with a pass with 3 minor advisories:
* Brakes imbalance only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair
* Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle ouside zone 'A'
* Child seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt nearside rear
One of the guys in the garage said the brake imbalance may have been caused by the car sitting unused for a couple of weeks and needed 'a good drive' to clean the brakes off.

How the car currently sits next to 'The Donor'

IMG_1629_zpsrqsrmnbw.jpg

Nice Fiesta here, with the 1.7 puma engine in it looks real tight. I am sure it must be a pleasure to drive it :)
Allways liked the mk5 facelift ford did. This was mine but sold it some time ago

1_zpsjvzo5wha.jpg

Back