Icon Review: Ford Puma Mk1 (1997 - 2002) | Auto Express

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Woodward

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/puma/354918/icon-review-ford-puma-mk1-1997-2002

Published this month, they still rate it as a "drivers" car

Its such a strange thing. The car never got the recognition it deserved in its life-time, despite glowing reviews. I often wonder if they had done something with 200hp+ would it of been viewed differently.

for me is the best car in the world, is a city go-kart with 125hp and it's low weight, is a perfect little coupe, but the people have not considered it, if the puma had been part in fast and furious,or in need for speed, like the supra, or other boring jdm cars, now every teen ager would ave loved the puma, and the price would be gone to the stars. :roll:

According to a new App I've installed (How rare is my Car) there are just over 3,500 Puma's left on UK roads, out of somewhere between 38,000 to 40,000 in 2002.
As time goes on that number will fall, then a majority of the remaining Puma's will be owned by true enthusiasts, who appreciate just how good the cars where when new, but are now driving what has been described as an "Iconic" car. I always have a smile when I'm driving mine !

Note: If you use the "How many left ?" website, you have to add all the different versions up, still gives under 4,000 left on UK roads.

Its been a while since i've seen one out on the road. I pass one in North Wales on a car park each time I got my parents caravan. Its covered in moss and doesnt look like its moved in years, along with a StreetKa next to it. It looks complete though

Here it is, its been there that long its on google earth.

Attachments

• pumawales.jpg
    pumawales.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 2,328
Just done slightly over 900 miles on holiday to Snowdonia in my steel blue Puma, only spotted one other Puma and that was Roomy in her white one. Have seen very few locally, the body shop I use though has one booked in for the rear arches.

I actually saw one on the road in Warrington on Saturday night, a silver one. It was spitting and I was thinking "nooo, don't drive it in the rain!"

And also saw a silver one parked in in Widnes yesterday. I've made a note of where abouts it was and will make a trip that way every now and again to see if it is still there.

Latest posts

Back