#save the pumas

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Woodward

There are now less than 3,000 Puma's on UK road's according to"How Rare is My Car" app. I appreciate there are car's put away for the winter, track cars etc and projects, but they are getting quite rare. The app shows the total currently taxed and the colour breakdown is just for the year of the reg. no you enter.
Really annoying when I see car's that aren't that bad, being scrapped for spares.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-173642.png
    Screenshot_20220115-173642.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 936
Hi.
On the site How Many Left, for the 1.7 there is only 2060 on the road with 3000 odd SORN. At the end of the day I wonder how many of those actually SORN will ever get back on the road. With what I have spent on mine it would have been a write off at least two times over. It is the same with most cars only when it gets a bit late they become an after thought.
Regards
Richard

Hi again.
Well talking about being scrapped for spares, my second Puma that I am now selling I bought as a spares donor car as it need a new clutch and cam belt. With its low mileage and condition it was to good to scrap so I ended up doing the clutch ,belt, bearings and a bush together with an MOT and of course a lot of TLC. Perhaps had I not have spotted it and made the owner an offer it might have ended up as another scrapped Puma.

Regards
Richard

Not many when you consider there were between 40 - 45,000 at their height. :(

It is rather sad that the numbers are falling so fast, im sure mine would have been scrapped if it was bought by a non enthusiast.

What annoys me is that Puma's in a saveable condition are being purchased and broken for spares. Last week on Facebook marketplace there was a red 1.7 with a decent MOT history and not that many miles, it had 2 days MOT left, so could have been driven home, I was too late finding the advert, it was sold within an hour and 2 days later it was being broken for spares, the immaculate headlights advertised for £250, more than half what the car was advertised for !
I purchased my Thunder as "spares" car very cheaply, mainly for the leather seats for my MSB one. it had a short MOT, so I drove it home, fixed a couple of problems for £20 and it drove OK, so put it in for an MOT, it failed, but only needed the n/s inner sill welding, which cost £80. Have now done over 3,000 miles in it and intend keeping it. unless it fails the next MOT disastrously, I'll keep it as a car and not break it, as there are less than 200 Magnum grey Thunder's left.

Just had a look and there are 2,596 now! we have lost about 400 in almost a year :teary:

I've not posted for a while because I'm one of the ones whose Puma is sitting, sorn in the garage.

Not long after buying it the fuel pump went & before I could deal with it I badly hurt my back..... & then covid hit.. and I set up working for my self...... all of which left dealing with my Puma at the bottom of the list.

It has a small hole in one of the inner sills (& a little bubbling around the arch) but other than that it is very sound.

I'm planning to try to find a mobile mechanic & get it back on the road soon though.

I've been putting it off to be honest, as the welding, repair & recommissioning work, service, cambelt & mot etc. will probably cost more than I would like to spend on it.....but, as it had only one owner before me, and has full Ford service history, I think it needs to be kept alive!

Mark

I have just acquired a 2001 1.7, medium steel blue with 88k. My 3rd, and this one was going to be scrapped until I found it. Bought one brand new in 2000, took on a project in 2014 that was then scrapped after I sold it :hide: , so this one will be loved until I’ve gone the way of the dodo.

Too many going off the road and it is up to us enthusiasts to keep them going.

Latest posts

Back