Puma Gets Track Action!! + Tyre wear Pics

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspuma

So the Puma finally got a dose of what it was bought for. A day out on the track at Mallory Park. Had a brill day, and the Puma performed spot-on. I did about 200 miles and got approx 17mpg, which was better than alot of other people. A guy I spoke to in an Audi TT 3.2 Quattro was returning 10mpg!

Down the straights the Puma doesn’t have a great deal of punch, but there is a particular long right-hand corner at Mallory and the Puma held on really well; The result was heavy tyre wear though - check out the near-side front – they were brand new Bridgestone’s.

Near Side rear after track day
NSRear.jpg

Near Side front after track day
NSFront.jpg

The brakes held up OK aswell, I had Red.Dot Gooved discs + their fast road pads fitted a few months ago.

Will definately be going again in the Puma! :grin:

if you are getting a lot of cross over wear along the treads then you are being too heavy with your steering or entering too fast or wrong lines and getting too much understeer, your tyres always look a bit shafted after a good run though lol, but you can tell a lot about your driving style from tyre wear :)

Yeh I think you're right, not knowing the track properly or going in too quickly leads to uneccessary tyre wear. Practice is what I need, which is a good excuse to go back and keep trying! :grin:

Yeh do it, You'll have a great time! I was surprised how friendly people were at the track day, and although there were obviously safety rules, it was still a relaxed atmosphere. :cool:

I left the tyres at their standard pressure. What would people normally advise, a bit more/less/or standard pressure? Im keen to hear from the track guru's out there!! :D

less, tends to get a bit twitchy with standard air, plus the heat will expand them anyway

Yeh I hung my nose over the Toyo R888 or even the Yokohama A048, but thought they were too steep an investment. It may be better long term to bite the bullet though.

ScubaSteve said:
less, tends to get a bit twitchy with standard air, plus the heat will expand them anyway

I think your spot on there Steve. This year at the ring I was running around 25 (or lower) in the rears for a few laps and it was handling fairly sweetly but not as good as the year before so I filled them to the right pressures - mistakenly thinking it wasn't good being low and my god did it make a difference....for the worse!!! The back end started getting a little wayward obviously down to the additional increase due to heat. The fronts were ok as they're nitrogen filled and kept the same pressure at all times.

I didn't think a few pounds would have such a negative effect on the car on the track. I don't think it helped having found out a few months later that my tyres aren't wide enough for the wheels either...lol.

Thanks for that guys, i appreciate you sharing your knowledge! ill take a few pounds out next time.

I was lucky to get a track day in before the weather turned but ill be preparing for the spring soon!

Latest posts

Back