Puma Highs and Lows 2010

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

I've stolen this idea from another forum, but it works quite well. What are the highs and lows of Puma ownership in 2010? I'll start.

+ Getting back in the FRP for the first time after four months under cover
+ Running the FRP at Santa Pod, achieving a respectable time
+ A great day and drive on the Bucks meet
+ Driving my old 1.7 at the Leics meet (nostalgic moment, as Leics was my first meet back in 2007 with that car).
+ Not technically a Puma high, but me and AndyW driving our cheap runarounds up to Zara's in atrocious weather. Great fun :grin:
+ Selling the FRP

- Becoming increasingly pissed off with the condition of the car
- Realising I actually enjoyed driving the Starlet more than the FRP :oops:
- Bending an alloy and wishbone on a pothole during planning for the Bucks meet
- Throttle cable snapping on the way home
- Selling the FRP.

What's yours (try and keep to the same format as above).

+ Changing from the 1.4 to the 1.7 - Powaaaaaaa!
+ The noise from the full Miltek system after you take it above 4k

- Bending the wishbone on a kerb causing it impossible to turn left
- Breaking my ignition barrell rendering the car undriveable for 2-3 weeks!
- Rinsing £200-250 a month on fuel driving to and from work everyday

+ Changing said job and being able to go out for a blast in the car without worrying about fuel!

Bentleya said:
@Marcus - I always thought you was happy working for WCUK.

On a side note, how many miles is your work journey?

Job I meant was when I was working in Preston after WCUK, June - December!

Working at a place 1.3 miles away from home now so don't have to worry about travel costs! :wink:

Highs :thumbs:
Making Bee start to come to life
Re-discovering my true passion for cars
Meeting some fab folk from here
Ford Fair
Doing the first sponteuns thing ever and going to chatsworth
FITP
Having a final goal with Bee
Me new role at work
Doing something I love
Actually getting a few dates this year!! Ok no GF, but dates- real one!

Lows :(
Discovering Bees unfortuante past
The cost of Bees MOT
The cost of Bees Insurance going up
The cost to bring Bee to my personal standards
Bee being so filthy right now
Realisng that people i thought i could trust i can't.

highs

none

lows

everything else

sorry aint had a good year

highs - flissy soldiering on...never a minute's grief...mile after mile...
- fordfair...sooo good to see everyone again...and flissy got modded - with extra, extra special side repeaters and pp sticker *woot*
- the demelza meet - bloody wonderful and it means i know where the hartford marina is for the xmas bikers meet on monday : )
- being back in here

lows - the rust is getting bad, even i can see that!
- need to get her serviced...worried what they might find...dont know a garage here i
can 'trust' to just give me the lowdown...however, have been given some xmas money
so at least she should get a service...i feel such a bad owner : (

t xx

Highs - Taking the Pu to the ring again and having a great time in it.

Lows:-
- Spending a fortune on parts that were'nt needed to then find that after fitting my coilovers the car now vibrates when accelerating round corners which wasn't there before fitting the coilovers. Engine now also vibrates at 1000rpm which I also blame on the coilovers as the extra firmness has dislodged something that I can't pinpoint.
- Falling out of 'like' (I won't say love) with it - since having a van for the last 5 weeks I haven't even driven the Puma for more than 1 mile since and don't even feel like driving it as that 1 mile was a real eye opener to how crap it is compared to modern cars.
- Having spent a fortune on a 50 bhp performance upgrade that I haven't dared try out due to the above vibrations and the crap weather.

Dunno what to do with it - sell or strip for track use.

yippeekiay said:
Having spent a fortune on a 50 bhp performance upgrade that I haven't dared try out due to the above vibrations and the crap weather.

What's that?

It irrelevant apart from what it's cost me as I've had all the parts for quite a while now and you couldn't even say I have anything of note actually fitted yet as I don't know if the problems with the recent vibrations/noise are actually engine related. I don't know whether to really bother starting/finishing it off or giving up on it totally as it may just be the thing that tips the engine over the edge - assuming of course that it's the engine casuing the vibrations/noise. If I could pinpoint the problem then I could move on but I ain't throwing money at it for a garage to second guess the problem as others have on here to find the problem was mis-diagnosed by apparently qualified mechanics.

I wouldn't mind so much but the problems came the exact day I had completed collating the parts for it.

I think my best bet is to wait until the snow totally clears and I have a decent spell of free time to motivate myself and give myself time to calm down before doing anything rash with it then I can have a good look at the bloody thing.

I know it will go against the grain for you Yip, but why not take it to a Ford main dealer and ask them to have a look? Not all are sharks and a decent workshop foreman will be able to diagnose a problem pretty quickly.

The downside is obviously the hourly rate, but sometimes it is worth it!

my highs and lows for 2010..

+ moving into a nice flat down here
+ getting away from the aggro from up north
+ selling Black
+ Buying the FRP
+ University
+ new job with more benefits and better pay
+ making some great friends over the year
+ 10th anniversary FRP meet at Duxford (and getting a pic in the mag :D )
+ driving the new forest roads - what a fantastic part of the country
+ being more financially stable

- moving here (I miss the north sometimes)
- selling Black
- Col's anniversary :(

it's been a bloody good year methinks :D

Neil said:
What are the highs and lows of Puma ownership in 2010?

Well the highs and lows of my Puma ownership:

Highs:
The meets & shows - Leics, Bucks, FITP & Chatsworth. Always a great time to meet friends new and old.

Lows:
Delivering my Puma to it's new owner and doing the "look back" that one last time.

Latest posts

Back