Why is my puma so bad in the snow?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wainie

Hi guys, i bought my puma in july and i cant fault it in any way except i woke up yesterday morning to some snow (not loads but enough to cover the roads), anyway i had to go out in the car and its terrible in the snow, it was sliding everywhere n when i pressed the brakes it just made an awful grinding noise and wouldnt get any traction!

ive got the 1.7 black with abs n traction control and just recently had new discs and pads, abs and traction control sensors fitted............is anyone elses little cat as bad as this in snow? :?

the grinding noise is your abs

the traction control on the puma is pretty useless

driving in the snow needs a lot of care and respect at the best of times - you really can't afford to be aggressive in your driving: take care!

You have to be smooth when driving on snow. Bring the clutch up slowly and press the brakes gently.

If I drive like that in my fiesta it's absolulty fine in the snow but if you rush thngs and heavy footed it's a pieace of rubbish.

What tyres have you got? What sort of tread is on them?

Sounds like your wheels are locking up when you brake, causing the abs to activate, and the wheels are locking because they have no traction... sort of a vicious circle really. Then theres the traction control going mad to try and stop wheel spin. I don't remember the puma being that bad in the snow though, so maybe your tyres aren't really up to the job? (summer tyres/budget tyres/low tread?). So I think the best thing you could do is see if you can disable the abs & traction control, and fit winter tyres, but winter tyres might be enough on their own, if they stop the wheels locking and spinning. If you really need to drive a lot in the snow they'd be worth it I reckon.

thanx for the advice, my front tyres are relatively new with plenty of tread on, I live right up in the pennines and tend to get more snow than most so i should be used to driving in it?

hopefully we'll be ok, like i said ive only had it since summer and never drove it in the snow, with a bit of luck and careful driving it wont end up like my 'tomcat' did last year :-(

Thanx guys

I agree with the tyres comments but wouldn't disable the abs unless you REALLY know what you are doing when braking in the snow - the abs is probably the most efficient way of braking in slippery conditions and will react far faster than the human brain

I drove my standard and FRP in the heaviest snows here the last few years, over 80 miles each time without any issues.

Probably just the way I drive but I found it reassuring even on roads which weren't gritted. (Carried on going even when a car in front and behind of me got stuck)

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/winter-driving-techniques.htm#axzz1gyi0k1J6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SENSIBLE ADVICE:
Seriously DO NOT disable the ABS! Unless you really know what you are doing.

Drive very slowly in the snow. Anticipate other idiots. Use second or third gear to move off. Make sure your tyre pressures are correct. Dont leave them over inflated. If you get stuck and you HAVE to move it, let some air out, but re-inflate on a flat bit.

Be prepared to walk and have a shovel and warm clothes and sensible shoes in the car too.

NAUGHTY ADVICE:
Also to get used to driving in snow, find a big, flat, empty car park. Go no faster than 10 mph and practice controlling a skid. You will have fun and learn too. A 5 mph skid on the snow is similar to a 50mph one in the dry. But dont linger too long as you will get told off by the Police!

I think your just not used to driving in the snow in a normal car if your used to a Tomcat. Think about how different each car was designed and for what road conditions.

Take care as if you were walking on ice in leather soled shoes!! ;)

red said:
I drove my standard and FRP in the heaviest snows here the last few years, over 80 miles each time without any issues.

Probably just the way I drive but I found it reassuring even on roads which weren't gritted. (Carried on going even when a car in front and behind of me got stuck)

Same, ive never had any issues with any of my Puma's in the snow, even when I lived up north..

I did get it stuck, when i took this photo :oops: :oops: :oops:

DSC00085.jpg

my puma was rubbish in the snow aswell. although i live at the bottom of a huge hill so every car here had trouble :lol:

once it was moving on flat road it was fine, but yes that grinding noise was awful.

Hahaha i think your thinking about the different 'tomcat'? i had the Rover 220 coupe turbo which was nick named the 'tomcat' http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1200&bih=784&q=rover+220+coupe+turbo&gbv=2&oq=rover+220+&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=3766l6860l0l13891l10l9l0l1l1l0l437l2062l0.1.6.0.1l8l0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
yippeekiay said:
I think your just not used to driving in the snow in a normal car if your used to a Tomcat. Think about how different each car was designed and for what road conditions.

Take care as if you were walking on ice in leather soled shoes!! ;)

Unless you are driving a tractor, pretty much any vehicle with road tyres is useless in the snow. Don't worry about it.

My ABS also kicks very easily in the snow, I like to think (or rather flatter myself :pose2: ) that I could "beat" the ABS in the snow but of course I cannot test that theory.

You have a 1.7 litre lump over the front (driven) wheels, so it's by far from the worst case (with rear drive, you would need to get 2 passengers to sit on the front wings). The fact that the low end torque is not huge, may also work in your favour.

More modern cars ofen have more extreme aspect ratio tyres, which I would think would be worse.

never had any issues in the snow in mine, and I'm not far from you myself.

Even in all the heavy stuff the last couple of years It was nothing but sublime.

Mine is good too, fairly controllable. I did put winter tyres on this year as an extra precaution (due to longer drive to work).

The tc can be a bit too enthusiastic at times but it helps when parallel parking in snow :lol:

luke55 said:
My ABS also kicks very easily in the snow, I like to think (or rather flatter myself :pose2: ) that I could "beat" the ABS in the snow but of course I cannot test that theory.

You have a 1.7 litre lump over the front (driven) wheels, so it's by far from the worst case (with rear drive, you would need to get 2 passengers to sit on the front wings). The fact that the low end torque is not huge, may also work in your favour.

More modern cars ofen have more extreme aspect ratio tyres, which I would think would be worse.

why would 2 people sit on the front wings if it was rear wheel drive?

front engined + rear wheel drive = no weight on the back, so they'd have to sit in the boot.

I don't live in UK, but on Continent. We do have snow every winter, and there is just one thing to add: get winter tyres. They are called 'winter' for a reason. Also, if you happen to see a winter tyre, on sidewall it has imprinted snow flake. Again, for a reason. With winter tires you can drive NORMALLY on snow covered roads up to say 90 km/h (depending on kind of snow, temperature, car, skill of a driver etc...).
I own a focus Mk 1.5 and can tell you that it is excellent in snow. It could do with SOFTER suspension (mine is Zetec with sports suspension) for snowy roads, but it is OK.
Fair enough, puma has few things going against it in the snow: relatively low weight, wide tires and stiff suspension; ideally for the snow it should have increased clearance, softer suspension with longer wheel travel and narrow(er) tires...
I have driven cars on snow and ice (FWD, RWD, AWD) and it is just another road condition. I assume you are very good on rain soaked roads; imagine a shock for someone who has come from, say Emirates who never saw rain (apart from TV) and has to drive on windy UK roads which are soaked in rain? I guess same could be said for the snow you are not accustomed to.
Driving in snow in principle is very similar to driving on gravel, only at slower pace (in snow) unless you have studded tires (prohibited in my area).
Just one final word of advice: if ambient temperature drops below 7C, the winter tires are better suited then summer tires (regardless of possible snow on the road). You should try driving car in snow on winter tires; you'd be amazed by the difference!
Remember the old saying: winter tires can substitute for 4WD, but 4WD can never be substitute for winter tires!

Latest posts

Back