Radiator and water cooling question?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinster

Morning :)

Does the big fan at the front of the car at the radiator always run when the engine is running?

How warm does the water coolant get after a long drive?

I noticed that the cool air coming into the car was actually quite warm and when I checked the water it was also pretty hot. I switched the engine back on and the big fan wasn't spinning.

Despite this the temp guage was fine.

Should I be worried?

Well my car was having a similar problem when I first got it, whenever I'd finished my journey the fan would always be running, and the cool air was coming through warm.

Turned out to be the heater control valve, and the fan never runs at all on my car now.

I could be wrong, this might be something different, or very well nothing at all, just thought I'd pitch a suggestion. :D

I've had this problem on the Millie since I got her. Can't seem to pinpoint the problem yet.

I don't know, it's weird. Say the normal temp gauge runs from 1 - 10, it's like mine runs from 5 - 15. On the lowest temp, it's sometimes cool (depending onthe weather), but more often than not, the air through the vents comes through warm. When you crank it up to full, it's unbearably hot.

It's not a huge problem, but can't work out what it is yet. When we do, then I'm sure we'll post up a solution.

The aircon makes it ice cold btw ;)

The fan coming on is fairly normal, mine does it in about 1 in 3 journeys. Mines had the coolant replaced this year and a new HCV last year so it should all be alright. I took amanda out in the fiesta last night and while we were practising 3 point turns the temp needle crept up near hot, but once we were rolling again it came back down.

The fan doesn't run all the time unless you have the AC on, in which case it will alternate between low and high speed.

The coolant should sit at a nominal 90 degrees C, so yes it will be too hot to touch if you've been driving for any time.

Cherie - I had the same problem with my Puma, a new HCV sorted it out.

I still have concerns that it's not running to temperature all the time though, sadly I think the only way to find out is going to be via OBD diagnostics but now that the HCV is working fine my suspicions are with the thermostat.

Latest posts

Back