Rear view mirror position on windscreen?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-B-

My mirror is wobbling and unsticking so I’ve purchased a new sticky pad from Ford, but I want to double check where it should be positioned.

Currently positioned about 1.5 inches down from the top edge of the windscreen, but a futher 1.5 inches down the screen is a black square that seems bonded to the screen.

Where it’s mounted now is fine, for seeing out the rear, but I’m wondering if that black square is maybe the actual position it should be, and that the black square provides a better adhesive surface, which won’t unstick after time? Maybe that’s why mine became unstuck? That’s my reason for asking.

They do seem to fall off every now and again even when correctly located.

I had this and in the end used loctite to keep it in place. Didn't come off after that!

I bought an alleged ford sticky pad from ebay and cleaned both mating surfaces carefully and left for 24 hours no problems sticking at all, and yes the black square is where its supposed to be.

last time I used a proper sticky pad to mount a mirror I was advised to warm the glass with a hairdryer first to help the adhesion.

I repositioned the mirror so that the body of the mirror obscures the black square rather than being attached at that point. I found I got a better view with it a bit higher than directed

Funny mine fell off Monday morning. It was on the black square but I moved it higher up so it obscured less of the windscreen. The angle of the view through the mirror is not as good now but I don't have to duck under it as often either.

Latest posts

Back