puma feels flat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukpuma

my puma feels very flat power wise until in gets up to about 5000 rpm.
it doesn't seem to have any torque at all.
I am used to my vw tdi which has over 200 lb of torque so I really notice the difference but even so I still feel its very flat.
only mod is back box.
is there anything else that may cause this flat feeling or is it just puma engines?

When was the timing belt last changed?

Sounds like the VCT pulley was incorrectly set, or the VCT isn't working

Body in the boot?

In all fairness, it's a good place to start the old fashioned way and read the spark plugs first of all, then visually examine the air filter.

The 'manual' way of testing the MAF is simply to disconnect it and see if the engine runs any better (it will use a default fuel map instead of relying on the information from the sensor). This will give you some idea of where you're going.

I'd read the plugs first though, as you need to know if you have a lean condition which could lead to det, holing etc. if left undiagnosed

its had new plugs and air filter and idle speed valve.
the belt has been changed but not sure by who so maybe the timing may be out a tad, I spose I need to drive onother one to see if its the same!
the hego sensor did come up in a fault code once but I think it was just loose connections, I spose I should change it and see.
maybe maf, I have a spare so I will try that.
timing could be an issue as sometimes it doesn't start first time and you have to give it full throttle to start it like its flooded.

The colour of the plugs is fair indication of how the engines running, iirc they should be uniformly light brown in colour, If one isnt it indicates a problem either with that plug or lead or cylinder or injecor etc etc

oh i see. not as yet but i will be going over it all soon. today it started pogoing for no reason while cruising along at 2500 rpm! sensor must be breaking down

Latest posts

Back