Rear wheel arches

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callumjh92

I've had my puma for a few months now and have been working on it every day to get it how I want it. Now I'm faced with the issue I'm sure you've all seen, the wheel arches, I bought a kit off eBay but unfortunately it's just some tacky looking plastic trim to cover it up, seems a waste to put so much effort into this car to just cover the issue up, does anyone have any tips on how to solve my rusting issue?
Much thanks

Depends how you want to do it. The cheap way is to cover it up with filler and get the panel resprayed but it'll be back within 18 months. The only way to cure it properly is to cut all the rusty metal out and get a repair panel put in. Some people have used Peugeot 206 front wings as repair panels

I've got a set of these made-to-order Puma arch replacement panels left:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=19805

Reararchrepairpanels001.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels005.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels004.jpg

As oilburner said - the rusty bits will need to be cut out and treated, these panels welded in place and then painted.

£70 couriered for a pair. Or £60 collected if you're local to Reading.

Hi,
The most permanent way to get rid of the rust is to cut it out and plate it, or weld in replacement wheel arches. However an alternative I have had success with in the past is by repairing with GRP. In the vast majority of cases filler is a waste of time. If repairing with GRP using polyester resin and chopped strand mat a long lasting if not permanant repair is a posibility. Filler will absorb moisture and rusting will continue. When repairing with GRP scurf the loose rust off and take the surrounding area down to bare metal using a grinder (on both sides of the panel) the area must be absolutley dry before atempting to repair. Countersink the area lower than the suronding panel by gently tapping with a panel pin hammer. Lay up both sides with the GRP. When cured sand the area then fill with filler and finish as normal.
The advantage of GRP is that it is structual it prevents air and moisture penetrating to the repair because what is left of the rust has absorbed the resin and therefore it cannot take up moisture. Thus, the two factors that cause rust, air and moisture are eliminated.
Hope this is of help.
Regards
Richard.

I think I may have a set of these also, I'm fitting frp quarters to my puma , so I no longer need them, I'll have a look tomorrow, just incase someone else needs a set.

Getting my arches done in 4 weeks.
This time is being done properly, cut out, pieces welding in etc so should be good for a few years.

evilrob said:
I've got a set of these made-to-order Puma arch replacement panels left:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=19805

Reararchrepairpanels001.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels005.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels004.jpg

As oilburner said - the rusty bits will need to be cut out and treated, these panels welded in place and then painted.

£70 couriered for a pair. Or £60 collected if you're local to Reading.

Hi, do you by any chance have those panels left? Did you have them built personally? Who built them? They look great

Thanks for any info

They were a group order from here:

https://www.puma-schmiede.de/shop/Puma-MK1-Radlauf-Ersatzbleche-hinten-2st

Latest posts

Back