One less Thunder on the road!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibbie

Making my way home tonight and a superbike decided it was a good idea to park itself in my bumper!

Gutted pretty sure it's going to be a write off... doesn't look too bad on first look but the radiator is seriously bashed, didn't dare look in the engine bay. Bonnet not where is should be, bumper and grille obviously damaged don't even know what happened to the number plate! One less Thunder I fear Absolutely gutted loved that car to bits!

Easy fix with a small amount of money, front end damage isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

If you get some good all round pictures of the engine bay / damage can give you a good plan to fixing it.

If you're binning it, where are you located?

Im going to assume since you didn't mention that other than pride and a smelly airbag, you were not injured in said motorcyclists geographical embarrassment.

I will get across to have a look at it in the light of day if I can... albeit it's with the Insurance companies to sort out now. Airbag didn't go off! I managed to brake and come to a complete stop (thanks to my yellowstuff pads for that one!) as could see him coming towards me... the superbike in the wet didn't manage to stop quite so well. I was ok but unfortunately the guy on the bike thought he had broke his collarbone, he was in a bit of pain but was up walking around, gone to Hospital for a scan. Police rang me later on tonight to let me know that he was ok.

Got the text before, bad news.

As said, can be fixed but you'd need to buy it back first and it'll be recorded.

See what they say about keeping it. If you're having another one you could see how much they want and keep the Thunder bits.

a light scrape will right off most pumas these days. Blame silly quotes the garages give to insurers to make up for the hassle insurance companies give them and the fact often they authorise xxx amount then refuse to pay out more than yyy after the works been done, so they over estimate to ensure they arent at a loss. Plus insurance qoutes are almost always based on silly new part costs rather than second hand.

sorry to see this,i would buy it back it would cost peanuts to fix with good secondhand parts by the looks of this one

As warren says, the repair quotes are high, and its a write off if repair cost is more than 50% of value of car.

Not sure which value, what you think, or they think!

Going to wait to see what the insurance company says. Preference to get it written off and then try to buy it back off them if the price is right. Doesn't look as if the claim has really gone anywhere yet though... frustrating wait in the meantime!

Feeling thoroughly p*ssed off my lovely insurance company *cough*ESURE*cough* left me a voicemail on Friday to say the maximum I will receive for my vehicle is £1000, they then sent me text to say that a cheque for £450 is in the post (what's left after my excess) and told me to send my keys, v5 and Mot document off to them. I have not agreed anything with them, they haven't given me the opportunity to buy the car back off them, the whole thing feels completely wrong feel as if I'm getting bullied into accepting whatever they want to give me.

In terms of the claim itself I have received two short phone calls off them since the 15th January, basically saying because it involves a motorbike it is likely to be split liability losing my no claims before they've even bothered to look at the pictures, drawings and photographs I have sent in. No one has given me an update in terms of where the claim is up to, they can't even tell me where my car is currently so I can go and have a look at it... Finding it all very frustrating.

As it stands:

I feel they have undervalued my car by approx £400
If it is split liability then I won't get my excess back: £550
Plus I will lose my no claims bonus and my insurance will go up by: £500

so overall if things head the way I think they are heading I stand to lose close to £1,500

Considering taking legal advice!

Jesus.

Firstly until they've paid you out its your car and they can't not tell you where it is, or allow you to collect it. If you need it recovering that is no problem.

Secondly the presence of a motorbike doesn't in any way mean you have to take any blame for it.

From your other posts it would appear the bike was already out of control, you saw it, stopped and then the collision occurred as he struck your stationery vehicle?

Post the full particulars and I'm sure we can get a case together.

If its looking like you'll lose, I'd be telling the insurer to do one, collect the car and tell them not to worry about it. It'll cost you less to fix the car and forget it ever happened, and you'll still have the car.

Thinking that Ian... I'm going into work early tomorrow just so I can finish early and kick off on them big style. See how far I get.

Hi, just to agree with the above. It is still your property untill the insurance buys it from you in the form of a pay out. If the do not tell you where it is and prevent you from collecting it or if they dispose of it without you permission they are technally committing theft.
Sec.1 Theft act 1968 states' A person is quilty of theft if he dishonestly approriates property belonging to another with the intention of permantly depriving the other of it.
Appropriates; includes any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner and includes, where he has come by the property (innocently or not) without stealing it, any later assumption of a right to it by keeping it or dealing with it as an owner

You are still the owner and the insurance company have to consult you they cannot tell you what to do.
Hope this is of help.
Regards
Richard

^^ This is a civil case... the police won't be interested.
It'll be left to the two parties to argue... In court if it get's that far but it's highly unlikely... Not even going into legal fees.
9 out of 10 cases get settled out of court and don't forget.. you're dealing with an insurance company.. they will have a better legal team than the average Joe Blogs.

Finally tracked the car down, not before the valuation guy told me that now that the car has been sent to the salvage company it would be unlikely for me to be able to get the car back! After going slightly mad and reminding them that it is still my car, I was transferred to someone way more helpful. Who was able to tell me where my car is, fortunately somewhere local so going to have a look at it today.

Well all this is still ongoing, had next to no updates off my Insurance company as I understand they still haven't received anything from the biker's insurer so I'm still waiting to see how the claim will go.

The whole thing has been a huge annoyance and at one point desperately trying to cancel the indicators on my Vauxhall Corsa hire car (they are hateful, hateful cars) I did feel like ending it all!! However I took the £450 for the car and decided to use a bit of my savings and get myself an FRP! Made up with it and I suppose although the accident and everything that came along with it wasn't a whole lot of fun, no one was seriously injured and it could of been a lot worse.

I certainly won't be using Esure or affiliated companies again though, once it is all sorted I will be writing to them to tell them what I think of them!

Latest posts

Back