Most number of litres to fill your tank?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-B-

I managed 39.76 litres this morning, and it wasn’t coughing/spluttering on reaching the petrol station. Left me wondering if our tanks aren’t bigger than 40L? I didn’t have time for any tricks like pulling the knozzle out a few inches, to squeeze in a bit more. Just to the 2nd auto-shut off.

I've been looking into this myself as a new puma driver, when my needle gets down to just above the empty an nearly 240 miles from full ( light not on ) it take's 24.5 litres to fill up again so in theory i have still got 15 litres in there, think i might keep a petrol can in the boot and see how far i can get out of it.

Hope you haven't used that garage again since Rick as obviously had a faulty pump or maybe 'rigged'.

When I refilled mine on my epic 500+ mile tank drive I didn't need that much from bone dry to spilling out.

46.34 was the most I ever managed.

26 of my tank fills were 40 litres or more.

So what degree of pump inaccuracy are petrol stations legally allowed?

Still sounds like a Pumas tank is comfortably bigger than 40l, but 48l = +20%.

Mentions a limit here, at the top, for Leicestershire: http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/business/tradingstandards/ts_consumers/petrol_pump_questions_answered.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So allowed up to 0.5% less fuel, and 1% more fuel (if I’ve transcribed that correctly). I don’t know what kind fine is imposed, if they’re found to be outside those limits.

edit:
found this regard fines: http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/supermarket-fined-after-overcharging-on-fuel-for-9-months.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm confused at the numbers mentioned. 9.2m litres of fuel x £1.30 per litre (I don't know the price of fuel in 2009) = £11.96m / 4% = £478,400. Yet there's a mention of £150,000 and a fine of only £18k. I suspect it's because of the massive tax on fuel, being a major part of the purchase price, but too late in the day for me to work that one out...

edit 2:
Yep, the retailer is making about £0.021 per litre, which is in the ball park of the £150,000 mentioned, and 4% of that is £6k, and they were fined 3 times that = £18k.

But the 4% was the overall fuel volume? I got it wrong. I'm off to bed.

I would like to add that the tank itself is 40 l (as Ford claims), but you also have the hose leading to it which is good for 2 maybe 3 litres up to the neck. But 46 or even 48 litres are way to much IMHO.
The change in density of fuel is a function fo temperature, but the variation is way to small to give you a margin of 3-5 litres….

If the tank neck accounts for 2-3 litres, there must be some right royal ripping off from petrol stations, to account for those 46-48 litre fill-ups. The pumps must have been over-reading by about 10%.

Latest posts

Back