My right foot keeps hitting the throttle pedal when braking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-B-

Never had this problem before in cars/vans.

I don’t know if the pedals are closer together than usual in a 1.7 Puma, either as standard, or maybe a previous owner, somehow, modded the pedals on my car, closer together, for track use. No matter how much I move my right foot to the left, when braking, I still seem to hit the throttle. Are a Puma’s pedals offset to the left more, closer together, or is it just me?

Just measured my shoe sole width at 5.0 inches.

There's a 54mm gap between my brake and accelerator pedal at the narrowest point and the accelerator pedal is lower than the brake. I hope that helps.
Barry

5 ins wide? try taking your shoes out of the box :grin:

I drove my Puma in work boots without any hassle, guess it must just be you right enough

Just measured my feet out of interest, they are a little under 4.5" wide (size 12's) and I never have that problem. Does 1/2" make a difference?

We'll have to ask Rob about that one :-D

Some funny replies :)

tuonokid said:
There's a 54mm gap between my brake and accelerator pedal at the narrowest point and the accelerator pedal is lower than the brake. I hope that helps.
Barry
Thanks for measuring. Mine is 51mm, and I measured 5.25” inches between the right edge of the throttle pedal and the cars body (measured to the right). I don’t know why I’m swapping between imperial and metric...

I take size 10-11 shoes, but they’re multi-purpose all-terrain shoes, so a bit chunkier than your average shoes. They do go off-road too, so I might want to check there isn’t a cow pat stuck to the sole, in future. Measured my Teva sandals again at 4.9” (must have shrunk overnight) and my other Salomon shoes are 4.6”.

So maybe I’ve got slightly less room between brake and throttle pedals. My shoes are wider. And maybe I need to spend more time trying to adjust my foot position, but you’d have thought I’d have sussed it by now, having put 4-5k miles on my Puma…

I’ve got a little 808 spy camera. I might stick that in the footwell at some point, to see why I’m being so freeking clumsy with the pedals.

Maybe the pedal is bent or something?

I've never had an issue with it when wearing my work boots, or a chunky skate shoe.

I know some cars are terrible for it, usually oldish Frenchies, the pedals are basically next to eachother.

alexwilliams840 said:
Does 1/2" make a difference?

We'll have to ask Rob about that one :-D
I asked your mum. She said it totally does.

Latest posts

Back