How many here realised that their Puma has a black box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

Which in the event of an accident can provide the police with evidence as to your speed?

I certainly didn't.

News to me. Is it part of the ECU?

If its that black box on the underside of the bonnet its long gone!

edit: i know its really just a NVH box.

I'll send you a message. I'm just trying to find out if I'm the last person to know this stuff or if it is genuinely being kept a bit quiet

Wish it was that clean and blue now, it's more a grey sort of colour!

Turns out that airbag manufacturers have for years fitted a small recording device to each bag that measures and records a number of parameters so that, in the event of an accident they can check on the efficiency of the airbag deployment. Needless to say one of the main things it records is speed.

Now the police are gaining access to this information and using it in prosecutions.

Hence the uncanny accuracy of the recorded speed in the prosecution below.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -20837122/

The BBC knew about it in 2001:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/sci" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 235819.stm

I wonder where its getting its info feed from??? I guess a digital car it gets speeed from speed sensor. Pumas dont have active seat belt info so it cant determine that data. I guess you could always cut the wire feeding speed info if your worried.

But you'd still have the control module just with the trick resistor in?

So it'd still work out you'd crashed and store the values and would think it had deployed the airbag etc... ?

jacko said:
or change the steering wheel....

And remove the one in the passenger dash too.

That would go down well with the other half.

"I have taken your airbag out"

"Why?"

"In case we crash and it tells the police how fast I was going"

Do you intend to crash?

"No but it's always a possibility"

pause.....

"Put it back NOW!"

IIRC correctly airbags are only meant to fire from about 15mph upwards and only then if severe deceleration is detected.

So if your airbag doesn't fire you know for sure you weren't exceeding 15mph :cool:

In addition, the airbag will not fire if the occupant of the seat has not clipped in the buckle of the seatbelt. Found this out in my Honda after my airbag didn't fire, then realised I was using my 3 point harness anyway...

BOK said:
IIRC correctly airbags are only meant to fire from about 15mph upwards and only then if severe deceleration is detected.

So if your airbag doesn't fire you know for sure you weren't exceeding 15mph :cool:

In addition, the airbag will not fire if the occupant of the seat has not clipped in the buckle of the seatbelt. Found this out in my Honda after my airbag didn't fire, then realised I was using my 3 point harness anyway...

I think that depends on the car. I watched a road wars where two lads in an impretza were saved by their airbags, it was shown from the cop car as they hit it head on. They wernt wearing their seat bags but both still went off. The latest road safety add shows the guy not wearing his belt but his airbag too.

Latest posts

Back