front seat belt replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w207

Hi everyone, I need to replace my front drivers seat belt just wondering if there is anything I should know before I start, any advice is welcome and some basic pointers on how to get to the thing would be great :? I am hoping to nip down to the scrappy in the morning hopefully I will find one, does a fiesta seat belt fit? Thanks again!

I would like to know if there some instructions online and if Fiesta seat belts are suitables for the Puma as I am planing to change seatbelts in the near future

meteor said:
I would like to know if there some instructions online and if Fiesta seat belts are suitables for the Puma as I am planing to change seatbelts in the near future

Does the Fiesta seat belts fit on the Puma???, thanks in advance

I have the same question, i pretend dismount de front seat belt, because when rolling, it goes very slow.
How start?
Please, answer me.
Thanks.
Eduardo R.
Ouzenda, 10/8/2018 (PORTUGAL)

No need for replacement. Wash your belts. Take a bucket of warm water, pull out the belt as far as it goes, clamp it at top to prevent being wound in and soak it in the bucket. Drop some good garment detergent in and stir and leave it for at least 30 mins. After that, wash the belts by hand. I used IKEA food plastic clamps for keeping the food closed. It is soft plastic but still can clamp belt pretty well. Pull the belt few times through it and you will see the dirt accumulating on the clamp and water turning darker by each passing. After few passes, throw that dark solution and put in warm fresh water. Redo do the procedure using that clean water. If the water turns darkish, replace it again. When water stays clean after few passes, take some towel and put the belt onto it to speed up the drying process (might be overkill ATM if I read right about the temperatures in Portugal). After few hours unclamp the top of the belt (it should be dry) and let it wind in. It should go on its own. ALso, clean the plastic guide at B pillar as it can be dirty as well.
After that I suggest you use some DRY TEFLON spray just for that purpose to apply to the belt (to make it more slippy) and it will go in on its own.
BE CAREFUL! Many sprays leave oily residue and will mark your clothes; so test in advance on some rag or something similar. If you are unhappy with the spray, it will clean off with brake cleaner.
Hope that helps

Did browse through my iPhone and found some images of the process... Hope it will help and guide you

Clamping the belt
Qn3Z06U.jpg

Water and detergent solution
WVqMY8r.jpg

Soaking the belt
BUtsMxH.jpg

Water is turning dark after 20 minutes or so
Y4AFE2A.jpg

Cleaning the belt additionally with plastic clamps. Squueze the clamp and pull the belt through
Qto9dMZ.jpg

mGhFC1r.jpg

The clamps will be full of dirt.

The water after
Dyx8DXd.jpg

Belt drying out
3VN9qGw.jpg

And that's it. The belt will go in far easier and you might not need the teflon spray.
But if belt still is slow, use the teflon spray for that purpose and it will solve your problem.

These images are from my Honda which had that problem when I bought it and after the above treatment the saftey belts now go in unaided as they should

EDIT: this is the stuff I am using. German, really good one. The belts are lubricated, but not greasy in any way. Highly recommended!

aKmpm9W.jpg

Good Morning,
Thanks for the answer. Is complete without a doubt.
I wanted to do a deeper cleaning, that is, the part that is inside the trough that goes to the winder, I also wanted to wash it and lubricate the winder itself. How can I get to the gate without breaking any of the plastics?
Thank you again for your attention.
Best Regards,
Eduardo Rodrigues,
Portugal, 22-08-2018

For that you will have to take down the back trim. There are How-to's on the subject. But, be practical about it: if the belt is dirty in the area that NEVER gets pulled out, it doesn't make any difference, does it? You will NEVER see it and you will NEVER use it (that part, I mean). Your problem is friction of the belt against the guide at B pillar. After you do as above, it will go in smoothly.
I would suggest to try this first, and if it checks out ok, turn your attention to other parts of car.
If you insist on taking down the back trimcards, you can find some procedure in my thread, although I am not sure if images will show since photobucket acted up some time ago.
You do have the complete TIS online and there is the complete procedure.
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/puma_1998_06.1997-12.2001/mechanical_repairs/1_general_information/100_service_information/100-00_general_information/description_and_operation/about_this_manual/

Latest posts

Back