Driving Test

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

Newbie here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, please move if necessary.

I was wondering if anyone knows if a Puma can be used in a practical driving test or if anyone's used one?

I've been on DVLAs site and they're pretty vague. I've even sent them an email to question it and just got sent a link to their site... :roll: It gives you a list of about 4 or 5 cars that definitely cannot be used and says that most convertibles are unacceptable but says nothing about coupes.

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Reading the rules the Puma meets all of the requirements, the exceptions are very specific.

You could check with the DVSA also for a definitive yes.

My local driving school ran a Peugeot 307 Coupe Cabriolet and then a Focus Coupe Cabriolet for years so I don't get the convertible thing

red said:
Reading the rules the Puma meets all of the requirements, the exceptions are very specific.

You could check with the DVSA also for a definitive yes.

I did email them and just got sent the link to the site. I may have to give them a ring and try and get a straight answer out of them.

Thanks for the help.

oilburner said:
My local driving school ran a Peugeot 307 Coupe Cabriolet and then a Focus Coupe Cabriolet for years so I don't get the convertible thing

It's so the instructor can get "All-round vision" but surely if you have the roof down on the convertible, they can see more than what they could see in a non-convertible! :lol:

kaylins said:
oilburner said:

It's so the instructor can get "All-round vision" but surely if you have the roof down on the convertible, they can see more than what they could see in a non-convertible! :lol:

LOL, probably better than a pumas masssive A pillar and the interior mirror in the middle of screen. Took some getting used to the blind spots in the puma.

coachwhip said:
kaylins said:
oilburner said:

LOL, probably better than a pumas masssive A pillar and the interior mirror in the middle of screen. Took some getting used to the blind spots in the puma.

Haha yeah that was my thought exactly, which is why I'm concerned I won't be able to use mine.

Hi, if you are young I would use the most ordinary family saloon that I could find.
A driving examiner may not look kindly on a young woman being let loose in a Puma.

john & Jake the dog said:
Hi, if you are young I would use the most ordinary family saloon that I could find.
A driving examiner may not look kindly on a young man being let loose in a Puma.
Before you get into any trouble, it's a young woman. :eek:k:

TGPlayer1 said:
A driving examiner may not look kindly on a young man being let loose in a Puma.

Haha thanks for correcting for me :lol:

I don't know if you'd class 26 as being young? :wink:

Worst case, my partner has a Megane Saloon so I'll use his as I've been driving that around for the last year before I got my Puma. I feel much more comfortable in my puma however feel much more comfortable in my parters car than the new car my driving instructor has just got, which is a Racing Citroen DS3!!! Pretty sure the examiner will prefer my puma to that thing, not a car to learn it at all!

TGPlayer1 said:

Ooops, edited but it sounds a bit sexist now.

My dad is a driving instructor for cars, buses and lorries and is also part of north yorkshires road safety team and he says there are a few cars that you can not take your test in and unfortunately the puma is one of those few. Apparently it has something to do with the amount of room in the back as sometimes driving examiners have to have another examiner in the back to check that they are up to scratch. Bloody stupid I know but those are the rules.

lusid666 said:
My dad is a driving instructor for cars, buses and lorries and is also part of north yorkshires road safety team and he says there are a few cars that you can not take your test in and unfortunately the puma is one of those few. Apparently it has something to do with the amount of room in the back as sometimes driving examiners have to have another examiner in the back to check that they are up to scratch. Bloody stupid I know but those are the rules.

I thought that would be the case!

The last thing I wanted to do is turn up on the day of my test with my Puma, get turned away and lose my money!

I got an email back from the DVLA saying they couldn't tell me specific models that aren't acceptable. Guess that's how the DVLA get their money :roll:

Thank you for your help :)

TGPlayer1 said:

Ooops, edited but it sounds a bit sexist now.

Incredibly sexist!!! consider yourself well and truly chastised :p

(maybe 'young person of unspecified gender' would get you out of a sticky position :-D )

It's the DVSA you need to check with:

"Vehicles you can’t use
Some models of vehicle can’t be used for the test. This is because they don’t give the examiner all-round vision. They are generally convertible cars and panel vans.

You can’t use these cars for a driving test:

BMW Mini convertible
Ford KA convertible
Toyota iQ
VW Beetle convertible
Other types of convertible car or panel van may also be unsuitable. Check with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) before booking your test.

DVSA practical test enquiries
[email protected]
Telephone: 0300 200 1122 (English), 0300 200 1133 (Welsh)
Monday to Friday, 8am to midday"

Bob

tractorboy said:
Some models of vehicle can’t be used for the test. This is because they don’t give the examiner all-round vision. They are generally convertible cars ...
... what about with the hood down?

An update to this!

I took my puma for a little drive to the test centre and asked one of the examiners and they said that she was fine to use!

Unfortunately I failed first time round as I used my boyfriends Megane Saloon which after driving a Puma, was much to big for me and bumped the kerb on a reverse park :roll: So as soon as I get a couple of issues fixed with my Puma, I will be taking my test in her and hopefully passing within the next couple of months :grin:

Update:

No problems with using a Puma in your driving test it seems as I Passed my test yesterday morning :grin: :grin: :grin:

One disadvantage of having a Puma as your first car however, my insurance doubled :shock: :roll: definitely worth it though and would not be without my Stormfly!

Congratulations on Passing, that was a long time between tests, I did 6 lessons failed, 2 more lessons and passed. That was 25 years ago, 30 min drive and identify about 5 road signs on flash cards in a book. Test has changed a bit now, and what you can drive once passed is far less :!:

Latest posts

Back