Insurance want to write off my Puma!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Had a bit of a prang yesterday. I was waiting at a junction and the car behind didn't stop (apparently something got stuck under the brake pedal, is what the girl said to me). Damage was pretty minor really except for me and my girlfriend having sore necks, but I've called the insurance company today and they reckon that the cost of the repair will be more than 60% the value of the car! Take a look at the photos and judge for yourself...

I'm missing one of the blanking plates at the side of the foglights. The other won't fit back in as both of the fogs are not sitting in their mountings quite right. There's cracks in the paintwork on the rear bumper but no actual dent. The foglights are still working.

As if I need to say, I want to keep the car. I have a massive distrust of insurance companies (verging on contempt) so I'm basically looking for some advice as to how I should proceed as I've never had to deal with anything like this before so I don't really know the options or the process. Can I just tell them to go and fornicate themselves and I wil do the repair myself and just forget about any money for parts and painting? Or do I have to buy the car back off them?

Any advice appreciated. Huw

huw_jenks said:
[post]355279[/post] Can I just tell them to go and fornicate themselves and I wil do the repair myself and just forget about any money for parts and painting
Yep, pretty much. You've informed them and that's all you're legally obliged to do. What you must not do is to make a claim -

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-been-in-a-car-accident-do-i-have-to-claim-on-my-insurance

Now, when it comes to insurance renewal time, your existing insurance company may well cut up rough and all information is shared between companies. So what you must do now is -

#1. Take lots of photos, inc. close ups, of the damage.
#2. Take your car to someone like the RAC/AA for a vehicle inspection damage report. Yes, it will cost you, but otherwise your insurance could start telling tales of suspected bent sub-frames, etc and you'll never get insurance for it from anyone.
#3. A witness statement from the other driver might be useful and you may (this is the bit I'm not sure of) be able to make a claim directly from their insurance, as they were 100% at fault. - like a pedestrian would if they got run over by a car.

After the report is done, then just repair it yourself or not, as you prefer.

Much has been already said but;

Usually best course of action is to contact 3rd party direct, confirm they accept full liability, explain you can source parts and repair yourself and see if they are willing to offer cash to fix yourself

Remember
1. You need to tell your insurer that you car claiming direct from 3rd party
2. It will still go on MIB database - when you renew you have to declare as accident 3rd party settled in full - or whatever it is
3. DO NOT allow CoPart anywhere near your car. All inspections are at your address either external visual or with you present - The moment it is taken anywhere to be inspected, it's going to be deemed a write off (labour to remove inspect bodywork behind/check geometry, replace/repaint bumper and little bits of trim, loan car during repairs ......will top 5-600 quid) and treated as a scrap car (you wouldn't want it back after CoPart have touched it)
4. Make sure insurer is aware vehicle is still driveable and damage as far as you can see is cosmetic only (I would assume you have done that already either by email or phone - otherwise you may not be insuring you to drive)

Unless you plan to make extensive injury claims there is a good chance 3rd party will offer somewhere around 500-600 quid for you to fix car yourself and settle as full and final payment. You may get lucky and get more (I got hit in the side a Pug 206 a good few years back witnessed by police, I had paid 900 for car, got offered 1450 and keep car - fixed for nothing with a donor car with knackered engine that I stripped and sold remaining parts on ebay :D )

Tell them you want it written off but you want to retain the salvage, cash the cheque for the difference, spend some money on parts, pocket the rest.

read this, its an article from a landrover mag I have, the 3rd party insurance co has no right to write off your vehicle if I read it correctly

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problem it is a bit of a nightmare, but you can control what you wish to do . On another note the driver of the other car has committed an offence under the Road Traffic Act, the offence dangerous condition by allowing the controls of her car to be inoperative.

Regards,
Richard.

I would like to thank everyone for the replies and the good advice, it's been very interesting and it has put me in the right direction.

I've called up my insurance company and told them that I do not wish to make a claim. I have told them that I would like a written confirmation that my NCB will not be affected and that no mark is put on the vehichle regarding it's damage as it is only cosmetic. They have given me the insurance company of the other driver so I tried to ring them after work today but the department I need work 10-5 (which is the hours I worked in a music shop selling guitars, thought an insurance company could probably afford to keep a few more staff on). I'm starting to get a bit of back pain which may be related, but very relieved that my lovely Puma is not going to end up in a crusher like I feared when I first heared them tell me it would have to be written off!

Thanks once again, I'll keep you updated...

If it goes to any insurer at all the will write it off. The trick is to retain what is left (ie. the unrepaired car).

It will have a marker if so but you'll also have been paid for it, pay your money take your choice.

The only way to have no marker is to tell them not to bother and fix it privately, and send the other guy the bill yourself. Depending how willing the other party is to cooperate. Very willing if they've got any sense as its far cheaper than feeding insurance and legal pigs.

just a thought... You've mentioned both you and your girlfrind have sore necks and you having a sore back, your insurer might have been expecting the damage to be more sever if the impact was hard enough to cause you both injury, that may be why they first said they would expect it to be written off.
Also if you are intending to claim for personal injury from the other drivers insurer they may use the lack of damage as a reason to contest your claim.

Latest posts

Back