Damn Potholes!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebitz

Evening all,

Just a quick one, I hit a deep pothole tonight going around 60mph and now the steering wheel has a slight wobble. The tracking was slightly out anyway but wondered if anyone would have a rough idea what might be causing it till I can get it to a garage on Saturday.

My old BMW had a similar wobble on the steering wheel and that had a Fu**ed steering rack and obviously I hope this wont be the same problem with the same cost to fix it!

Any ideas on worst case and best case scenario?

Any help appreciated.

Whoops!

A wobble might point to a buckled wheel more than tracking given the circumstances. Is it a vibration that gets worse with speed? does the car pull to one side?

:(

Yeah it pulls to one side but its still more of a wobble to the steering wheel you can actually see it moving side to side slightly. but seems to get a bit better at higher speeds which is what the BMW did. I really dont want a big garage bill got plans for money for the next few months. The results of which will probably go in the project section.

Probably just the tracking then... fingers crossed.

If it was a big pothole and you know the exact location you can contact the Local Council and request they pay towards the repair bill. Buckled a wheel 2 years ago going down a "valley" in the road in the Fiesta and they paid for a new wheel,tyre and tracking.

zebitz said:
Evening all,

Just a quick one, I hit a deep pothole tonight going around 60mph and now the steering wheel has a slight wobble. The tracking was slightly out anyway but wondered if anyone would have a rough idea what might be causing it till I can get it to a garage on Saturday.

My old BMW had a similar wobble on the steering wheel and that had a Fu**ed steering rack and obviously I hope this wont be the same problem with the same cost to fix it!

Any ideas on worst case and best case scenario?

Any help appreciated.

I think you will find that you have flat spotted a front wheel on the inner edge - low profile tyres plus negative camber and hitting a pot-hole have done in several of my wheels.

Good news: they can be straightened in all but the most sever damage cases. I recently had 2 FRP wheels repaired (needed welding, and one each of 9 spoke and an F1 wheel). The guy I used will fix the mechanical problem, but does not do paint repairs. He is based in Yeovil. PM me and I'll give you his contact details if Yeovil is convenient for you. Cost me £90 for the repair of all 4 wheels. (I have an FRP and a 1.7 Lux)

Good luck - definately worth trying to claim on the council, although I never have, so cannot help on that score.

Get your tracking checked as soon as possible, else you wear out the front really quickly. I scrubbed out a new pair of front tyres in 4,000 miles due to a tracking error I hadn't noticed. :(

I hit a hugh pothole last Thursday.
Contacted the Council, who took all the details and gave me a contact for the West Sussex Highways. I sent them photos of the pothole and advised if I find any damage when I look this weekend, that I will be forwarding the bill to them.
It's strange, but when my wife had her brand new "V" Puma, we had a similar thing happen and they had to pay out for a new wheel and tyre which were totally destroyed.
I had a reply from them this morning that they have now repaired the potholes and that they had been there last week and actually logged the road damage! I'm going to asked them why they did not put up any warning signs once they had seen it!

[fullalbumimg]1228[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]1229[/fullalbumimg]

Ta very much.

Yeovil is quite far from me but ill definitely be in touch with the council. pot hole was about 5 inches deep.

thanks for all your help everyone ill let you know what happens with the council.

Bkloody hell that pot holes bad!!

I went over a train crossing at about 40mph and that buckled my wheel. Thought it was just tracking and stuff for a while but i was getting past 50mph on motorway and steering wheel would completely judder. Dal was behind me and was the one that tol;d me he could see my wheel buckled driving behind me this was a few years back now!!

My boyfriend has one of them tax disc holders that says..'Yes i have paid my tax, now go fix some pot holes!' Haha

wow i have just had the same happen to me, hole only 30 cm wide and 40cm long but about 6cm deep f**d all the passinger side up steering wheel all over the place now jumps to the right when you put your foot down and to the left when want to stop, and if the road gets uneven then its all over the place, well not happy, she's not very nice to drive now, boo who, who at the council do you contact? i would rather spend my money on making my car better not to fix it

I just phoned up the local Council switchboard and asked for the telephone number of the people responsible for road maintenance. Phoned them, they took all the details and forwarded them to the people that actually do the maintenance and gave me a reference number.
They also gave me their email address to send the photos to.
If more people claimed for any damage, the Councils might be quicker to carry out repairs.

YAY it was just the tracking, only cost £10 to sort out so well pleased with that, Emailed the council pictures etc on wednesday so waiting to hear back from them but feel a bit stupid cos if they do agree to pay its only a tenner, but on the other hand the hole should of been filled in before any of this happened. :D

Latest posts

Back