LED headlight bulbs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perdrix

Does anyone have any experience of these? I would expect that as the Puma headlight is a projector design, that they would work well, but best to ask ...

Thanks
David

Hi David

I tried to convert a set of Puma headlights to LED and to be honest it was a waste of time. Without spending a small fortune I don't think there is anything we could make 'DIY' that would produce the same light output as a conventional halogen bulb.

But since then manufactures have designed these 'bulbs' using cree LEDs which are supposed to be a lot brighter. Whether it would be worth buying one of these in HB3 as an experiment....

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/hb3-9005-cree-led

I tried doing the same thing as well using one of more expensive eBay kits with fan cooling. Even made a hole in the back cover of the headlight to enable cooling. It was total waste of time. The light pattern was total crap and the results were far worse than using regular HB3 Osram nightbreaker bulbs. It was funny when I got a request from the seller to rate the transaction and I replied I didn't think it was in his interest as I would have to rate the product as well and it was a complete crap. He wanted an explanation how, was it not working, or arrived damaged or something? So I explained that the light pattern is horrendous and the visibility is a joke on borderline being dangerous.

I didn't try the bulbs suggested in the above post but rather settled for the 35W HIDs. As puma uses lenses and has closed design of the headlights they can't dazzle anyone and are OK to be used being only 35W but still better the original halogens but I am curious about the cree LED's in the link above. Are they cleared for general use, or only off road?

I too am curious about these. My whole house is 100% LED, they are some good these days. Upgrading the puma seems logical.

perdrix said:
[post]367793[/post] I thought that the Puma used H3 and that HB3 was different (but what do I know?).
Definitely HB3/9005. Main beam and dipped beam are the same type.

The cree LEDs in the link I posted above was literally the first result I got from the google search 'HB3 led bulbs'.
Whether they would be 'road legal' or not I wouldn't know.

I've never used cree as they weren't common/known when I was playing around with LEDs several years ago.

Not surprisingly there is a massive range of HB3 LEDs on ebay..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...B3+led+bulbs.TRS0&_nkw=HB3+led+bulbs&_sacat=0

Whether any of those would be worth a try I suppose would depend on the price. I've found that it doesn't pay to buy cheap with LEDs so maybe paying a 'premium' for good quality would make it uneconomical to buy some as a test just to find out they don't make any difference to the light output of the Puma headlights.

It is possible to convert all of the rear bulbs to LED, but you have to be aware that polarity is the wrong way to run them. You can either chop the wiring to the rear lights and reverse it or if you are lucky it is possible to dismantle some cheaper LED bulbs and reverse the polarity inside.

Latest posts

Back