BP Ultimate DAMN RIP OFF!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordPuma_Shearer

Hi, i'm having a grumble today about the price of bp ultimate unleaded petrol. Why on earth is it that my local petrol station charges 115.9 per litre of petrol of the ultimate. RIPOFF!!!

Yeah its good stuff but V-Power is only 89.9p at my local shell garage.

I always use Shell's V-Power, and i know people say its not worth putting it in as the ecu's hard coding on 95ron petrol.

But it also works with the cleaning additive, which cant harm and only improve your engine.

Any one have any ideas why BP charge 15p more a litre that V-Power and yet its on 97rom but V-Power is 99ron.

Ow and by the way Bp sell standard unleaded at 85.9 and Shell at 84.9, so BP sell Ultimate at 20p more a litre, jesus, and yet Shell charge only 5p more.

FordPuma_Shearer said:
Any one have any ideas why BP charge 15p more a litre that V-Power and yet its on 97rom but V-Power is 99ron.

Pricing is one of the arcane arts of marketing.

Once you get to premium brands where some people will buy it even though it offers them nothing other than some vague promise of 'making your engine cleaner' they can charge what they like and mugs still pay up.

People always assume there is some form of 'cost plus a fixed margin'. There isn't.

Classic case, I had a client selling software suites to builders. They were at £795, the main and very inferior competitor was at £295. My client took the lion's share of the market. The competitor sent his daughter to marketing school, she came back after a couple of years and shortly after put the price of their unchanged suite up to £695. Suddenly my clients market share plunged.

Price is not a fixed indicator of quality.

Marketing people buy their fuel from the cheapest pump at the supermarket. That probably says something.

But there IS a difference between normal unleaded and super stuff. Its a british standard, it has to be guaranteed at a certain octane (i think regular is typcially 95 and has to be min 93, and super stuff is typically 97-98 but has to be 96) I cant remember the exact figures though.

Yeah, i have too agree, but surely it makes a difference, i get considerable mpg boost when using better fuel, and you cant false advertise your product.

Yeah there is no real difference, but my gripe is that why are 2 fuels, pretty much identical, so vast in price

DradusContact said:
But there IS a difference between normal unleaded and super stuff. Its a british standard, it has to be guaranteed at a certain octane (i think regular is typcially 95 and has to be min 93, and super stuff is typically 97-98 but has to be 96)

Indeed, but this has no relevance to Puma owners.

FordPuma_Shearer said:
...you cant false advertise your product.

At least one of the manufacturers were forced to withdraw their 'better mpg' claims by the advertising standards people.

You'll now find them hedged about with 'may' 'can be' and 'up to'

Straight from the BP website

BP Ultimate Unleaded can help you achieve up to an extra 28 miles per tankful

Three weasels in one statement

can = doesn't necessarily mean it does

help = and even then not necessarily on its own

up to = could be one mile extra per tankful, or not, as the case may be.

Best way to do it is work out the £/mile.

BP has never been anywhere near Shell in that respect.

Hi FordPuma_Shearer
I wonder how much they would charge for the new BP Ultimate 102 (octane), if they could sell it?
http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?cat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Id=7017179

It was for sale at Silverstone the last time I was there at £2 a litre ish.

Latest posts

Back