Puma tuning - your experiences?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulyV

Hello all,

I would like to squeeze another 10 - 15 hp out of my Puma. Other than new suspension bushes, new dampers and springs, a lower strut brace etc I am keeping it as stock as possible but would just like a touch more oomph from the engine.

I have seen the guides on tuning here and there seem to be logical routes but I would love to hear your suggestions? Cost is something of an issue as I also want the rear arches sorting, hence I am not going to be able to drop £800 on a Racing Puma manifold.

Thanks in advance.

Pauly

My last puma had a piper manifold sports cat and full exhaust system along with an aftermarket K&N induction kit.

That added an extra 13bhp without a remap.

Ed

Problem is “squeezing “ another 10 BHP from an engine probably means you only see it at 6 k rpm upwards so not much use in day to day driving.If you could find another 20 ft lbs of torque from 3 k then that would be sweet.

Sorry, I should have added that this is for modest track day use so getting the power at high revs is not a problem.

If it’s for track days then 10 BHP ain’t gonna make any difference.If you want to improve your lap times then decent brake fluid,some uprated pads (or calipers)and lots of instruction on track.That way you will shave seconds off times and get the satisfaction of getting round quicker than more powerful cars.

I built my car 1 step at a time
I recon, cams, a remap and 421 would probably make the biggest difference on an otherwise standard motor.
That should give you your 10-15.
For a lot less than a FRP inlet Which on its own would barely give a couple of ponies..

I'm thinking of getting the Toyosport manifold (£150ish). Seems like reasonable value. BUT what are my options for a catalyst? Need to pass MoT. I don't fancy changing the manifold every year!

I'm thinking I also need a flexi pipe after the manifold, but will the gas be too cool for cat to work after that lot of plumbing?

I had a Piper manifold, cat and exhaust. It passed MOT's when I owned it. Friend who bought it from me said it failed once on emissions but they hadn't let the engine warm up and rev it hard before testing emissions.

Ed

Can't find the Piper exhaust manifold, only an s/s cat back system.

Think I'm going to make my own system with Toyo + flexi pipe + sports cat 2 inch. Then delete middle box and Hoffman rear box.

Not quite sure how I'm going to mount it though. Anyone done this before?

Did you just buy the toyosport one that was on eBay haha I was watching that for mine... but missed the end of the auction..doh!!

No, I didn't even see it so don't know where that went. I've asked Toyosport (vendor) on Ebay for some advice and they've been less than useless so far, they're saying the manifold is not for street use as they don't know how to fit a catalyst to it...

Latest posts

Back