Week From Hell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzboy

As a daily driver the Puma has been perfect for 6 years. Things have gone wrong but usually fixed at MOT time or can be scheduled.

2 weeks ago a loud whirring began on a Friday. Dropped into trusted garage on the way home who diagnosed water pump and it was booked in for Monday last week, took the bus, and all was OK when collected. Tuesday morning started running like a dog and engine warning light came on so dropped into the garage and got the bus to work. Turned out it was the coil pack so that was changed. They had spotted oil in the spark plug wells so it was booked in for Wednesday and the rocker cover gasket changed.

Friday evening started hearing a quiet noise when pulling away that sounded like the ABS self test and is from the same area. Popped in to the garage on Saturday who (FOC) put it on the ramp and checked gearbox oil level and all driveshafts/wheel bearings.

The car drives fine but makes this noise that you don't hear with the radio on :grin:

Where should we be looking next? or am I just paranoid now?

Blimey that does sound like a run of it, I thought these things only happened to me!

Hard to go off of the noise description but if it sounds like the ABS, is it the ABS?

If its a droning noise , it could be the front wheel hub bearing getting noisy or brake disc with rust on it in places or even the tyre.

Did they let the wheels spin whilst, even in gear on a 2 post lift so that they could try and identify where the noise might be coming from?
They may have just checked the wheel bearings for play but not done the above.
There is also a support bearing on the driveshaft that bolts to the engine block, they too can get noisy.

Latest posts

Back