Peeling clear coat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach1

I had a couple of small patches on the roof where the clear coat was peeling off - one pea sized and the other about 1cm by 2.5cm,

They looked really unsightly but not worth paying for a roof respray- and the rest of the roof too good to risk me trying to rattle can it myself.

So I thought what the hell, scraped off any flaking bits back to the edges where sound and, using clearcoat from a touch up kit built up several layers with a small brush.

It looked crap, uneven and worse than it did at the start!!

Anyway I used the fine sander from the kit and wet sanded the area to try to level it off. As expected it looked very dull and to be honest, just as bad!!

I then tried some 'colour restorer' I had to bring back the shine but, after a while it was no better. I was going to give up but carried and then, suddenly, a small patch started to shine!!

After much more cutting and then polishing the shine came back to the whole area.

Ok,I rushed filling in with clear coat and flattening it, so it could do with going over again with a few more coats, but it's definitely a lot better than before and nowhere near as noticeable.

Didn't think to take any before/after photos though.

If it helps guys, clear coat spray normally blends in very easily if done in several thin coats, did a repair on the c-max, could barely see the joins, leave a few days then lightly t-cut, job done

The kit was a halfords touch up one that I got from Ebay. It came with paint, clearcoat as well as a small sanding pad.
I used it because it was very fine other wise I guess I should have used a minimum 1200 or 2000 grit- someone with more knowledge than me might be able to advise?.

As I said the clear coat sealed the patch nicely and ended looking almost the same as the rest of the roof (thankfully!) but I didn't do enough layers so there's still a bit of a depression. Although now a lot harder to spot, I'll probably go back and work on it some more - when time allows.

Zinc 2000 - Yep, I was thinking of spraying but as the areas were so small I didn't want to take the risk of sanding and enlarging the areas, f**ckng it up & end up making them worse!!

Might try this on the wife's Fiat, it has a few lacquer peels which could do with a tidy up.

My main aim was to try and seal the edges so it didn't get any worse....and then need a respray.

It's a bonus that the shine now matches the rest of the roof so is harder to spot!

Lots of thin coats is the key I reckon.

Latest posts

Back