Removing the Bonnet Plunger from Ford Puma (Fiesta MK4)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBreenUK

Hello,

Probably like everyone else the rubbers parts on their puma are disintegrating after 20 years (or it could just be mine). Anyway my door light is flashing a lot when driving. I have traced it to the bonnet plunger the rubber concertina boot is falling apart so this is likely the issue (containments getting in and causing corrosion/concertina is jamming plunger open slightly). What I what to do is take it out (with the aim of getting a replacement at the local scrap yard). So far this is defeating me there are 2 rusty steel clips (probably it the same piece of metal) when I push these in I am able to pull the plunger unit up about 1-2mm but no further. (I think it has to come up as there is a piece of black plastic which is too big to go down through the hole).

Does anyone have so guidance on removing the Bonnet Plunger from the Puma?

Thank You,

Mike.

Hi Mike
Sometimes you can prolong the life of the bonnet switch by sticking things on the bonnet which makes the plunger go down further (no idea why but it works). If you want to replace the whole switch (expensive) you need to disconnect the plug to it which is under the slam panel about 6 inches to the right as you are looking at it (really difficult to get to).
Then if you squeeze the left and right sides of the switch flush to the slam panel it should then lift out. I hope that helps.
Barry

I’ve just investigated the switch on my own Puma, as I have the same problems as you.
The switch is a very snug fit in the slam panel, but you should be able to wiggle it upwards and out using a small flat screwdriver. There are two small metal clips which fit into grooves on the switch body, but mine had almost completely rusted away, and to be honest, I don’t think that they are necessary.
The switch will come apart for cleaning, and mine was full of dirt and rust. The problem is finding some replacement bellows, they do look like those fitted to some industrial limit switches, so it might be worth a trawl through the Internet.
Failing that, you could simply cut and join the two wires together, making sure that the joint is properly insulated of course. The system will then think that the bonnet is permanently shut.

Latest posts

Back