Puma starts, idles for 10 secs, then stumbles to a stop.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujipuma

Hi, Puma 1.7 starts, runs for about 10 secs on idle, then stumbles and stops. If I try the accelerator, it stops immediately. I can hear the fuel pump going. Changed fuel filter, put in a non return valve, still the same. Should I try changing the pressure regulator, or fuel pump? Any advice welcome.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Puma expert yet. But this is a pretty common issue on many other vehicles.

-Check for unmetered air leaks...Leaks between your MAF and throttle, or leaks on the vacuum side of the throttle.
-Clean your idle air valve and check it for proper operation. (See Youtube for procedures)
-Check your MAF for proper operations (See Youtube)
-I wouldnt spend a bunch of money on a fuel pump without first checking your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You may be able to rent or borrow a fuel pressure gage if you dont want to purchase one.
-Are you getting any codes? It sounds like you should be at least getting lean codes.
-A good cleaning of the entire intake system from filter to head including the fuel injectors may be a good idea...Even if you dont find the problem, you may fix it without realizing. Just be careful not to create any new air or fuel leaks in the process. New gaskets on the air side are preferred, but new O-rings on the fuel system are CRITICAL if you take that apart.

Did anything happen leading up to the issue or did it just start doing it one day?

I second getting the fault codes read and maybe live graphing to see what happens when it stalls.

Latest posts

Back