Off-road Puma advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotruSs

Hi everyone,
A month back I bought myself a first car - Ford Puma 1.7
I allways liked the car but that isnt the reason why I bought it. I am planning to take it to Gumbalkan 2020. Trip to Romania with some low budget cars. Puma cost was around 300€. I fixed the poor headlights, rust, fitted new radio and speakers. Right now its at my mechanic friend, putting on some new springs so it has better groundclearence. I am planning to cover the bottom with some sheet metal, some off-road tires later on and other small things.
Now I need help with some stuff.
1. What spare parts should I take with me (what could go wrong)
2. How to fit 4 spare wheels, tent, gas etc. to it (I was thinking about crossbars with some welded bars to make a "garden" but its round roof might be a problem)
3. ANYTHING that could help me and my new kitty friend survive the rough terrain.

TY for every answer and advice. Will try to respond to everyone.

What size and model tires are you looking at?
In the US, the best I've been able to find for small truck tires for a similar project were 225/60/16 or 215/65/16 and General Grabbers or Yokohama geolanders.
Ive had some thoughts about looking at Motorcycle rear or ATV tires but havent really followed those thoughts through very far, that was more for sand or loose dirt racing.

A Cheap but highly effective roof rack can be fabricated on any roof shape using Uni-strut with some steal spacers cut to length in order to get the levels you desire. (https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/unistrut-channel-strut-41x21mm)
unistrut roof rack.png

Of course you will want to keep your center of gravity low, so you may find that putting the tires in the car and the lighter weight luggage on the roof might be the better choice, Just make sure they are strapped down adequately so you don't take one through the back of your skull.

If you really needed and wanted to, you could even put some uni-strut along the rear quarters above the wheels wells and strap items to the sides of the car. It would be ugly as hell, but functional and kind of cool in an innovative way.

Also, I would urge you to consider if you really need a gas tank or not...They have a tendency to make what might otherwise be a minor collision into a major catastrophe. If you REALLY think you need to carry more fuel, look into adding a racing fuel cell. They are built to survive punishment without exploding your car.
Example: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedmaster-1-130-003-Aluminum-Fuel-Cell-5-Gallon,323465.html

Hi, I work with kids in care, and one of them does a work experience placement in a garage. The garage has a Puma project that appears to be raised with maybe rally/M&S tyres on it (I think still 15's, just a higher profile.

Unfortunately, the garage is a special education provider, so is closed until the new year, but as soon as I go back I'll ask some questions for you.

One thing to think about is the normal position of the spare wheel carrier, if your underside metal doesn't cover it then your fine (as it drops down). What about adding a pole so that another wheel or two (Such as a threaded pole, so that the extra wheels come out via the boot and then drop down the carrier for the original, or even the original comes up too if your modding it?) can sit upon the existing spare wheel and all dismantle when required?

What i remember of trying to use an old puma in a fairly dry campsite is that it was a total dog when not on tarmac. Never took it offroad again after that.

Have a spare HCV to hand, or some pipe so that it can be bypassed if it fails (common).
General stuff like spare bulbs and fuses.

Can't really comment on any of the conversion for rough terrain since I only used mine domestically but good luck, be good to see some pictures before and during the event.

Latest posts

Back