ABS fault light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigdlo

My Puma has been parked off the road for over a year now since the last MOT expired, and I have periodically started it up and run it until running temperature was reached. Each time I’ve done this, all the dash warning lights have behaved normally.
The other day, I thought it would be a good idea to jack each front wheel up in turn, and run the car in gear with the brakes lightly applied in order to clean the very light rust from the front discs. Unfortunately, the ABS and traction control lights are now showing on the dashboard.
My question is, when I eventually get to drive the car for it’s next MOT, will the lights sort themselves out, or have I got to reset anything?
Thanks.

You need to get over 15mph for the ABS self test to complete. Potentially when you drive and this happens the lights will go out.

Thanks red, that is what I am hoping.
It would be rather awkward arriving for the MOT with the warning lights on!

I seem to remember mine doing something like this when I span the front wheels in the air and not the rears. I think it got confused and threw the light. Then cleared when I drove it properly on the road again.

Yes, the system monitored that front wheels have been spinning, but the rears not. ABS does not know that the car was jacked up and so concludes that the rear sensors are potentially dead. Hence the warning light. Once you reach 20 kph speed, the ABS will trigger self test and erase the DTC and put out the warning light

Just jumping in here as I have similar ABS problem
Replaced front sensors as one had shorted out by rubbing on wheel, took car down track, lights still on
Checked rear sensors and the rings in the drums were caked in crap, cleaned, replaced but lights still on
Does the car need to move and perform the self check to put the lights out following a fault or should the lights go out as soon as fault is fixed

Thanks guys, guess I need to uncover it again then and see if I can get the light out before I give up and scrap it!

Latest posts

Back