PCV Vavle and its alternatives.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve90

Hi guys, I recently had a blown PCV Valve, and i replaced it quickly with another used one from an old car.

However I would like to renew this part completely and i have been looking online.

I found one for my car but its made of plastic , and this is the reason why mine failed under extreme heat.

But I also found some metal ones. can the metal ones be used in the Puma 1.7?

Attachments

• 3002.jpg
    3002.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 3001.jpg
    3001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 3000.jpg
    3000.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,306
Interestingly, I replaced mine on my 1.7 a few years back with a genuine Ford part and I was surprised that the new valve didn't shut the hole off completely when sucking on it, which was surprising as others on different cars I have tried always did . It did restrict it a bit , however it definitely didn't close off completely.
Can any one confirm if the Puma 1.7 PCV is supposed to?

So Steve90, depending on that issue , perhaps my new valve is faulty?? Then it would depend if the O/D of the valve and the O/D of the hose fitting is a match

DOH said:
So Steve90, depending on that issue , perhaps my new valve is faulty?? Then it would depend if the O/D of the valve and the O/D of the hose fitting is a match

Yeah, they are really sensitive to any air leaks around the rubber seal. I noticed that when i was messing around with it.
My replacement PCV valve came from another scrapped Puma, but there was no spring inside it! And there was no damage ot th outer casing, so ether it never had a spring or someone has mastered telepathy!

Either way.. it still means my PCV valve may not be the correct one, so I thought i'd better ask on here before I started buying multiple types.

Hi Steve
there should be a spring inside it to return it to the fully open position automatically. I cannot be certain but I think the Ford pinto PCV valve was metal and it closed fully when sucking on the inlet side. The dimensions maybe different .
In view of the fact that the engine has Yamaha involvement , I wonder if a Toyota PCV valve off something like a Corolla
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-for-...Toyota&hash=item2f44d82696:g:Fr8AAOSwQOpe4gg6

But check the dimensions of all the diameters.

It's unusual for the OE valve to fall apart, So in view of the price it maybe best to stick with the original as it will fit the grommet properly

Hm.. the Toyota variant looks very different in appearance.
I just assumed there might be a common alternative for the valve.
the original shattered from the bottom and I pilled the spring and the metal plunger from the small plastic housing behind the intake manifold. I was lucky that the metal was no sucked into the engine.

My original PCV valve did have a spring but my replacement just seems to have the plunger loose in the casing.
The car does have a slight idle issue now, which it didn't have before, but at least I can drive the car whilst i wait for the new one to arrive.

Attachments

• received_2708268535945802.jpeg
    received_2708268535945802.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,296

Latest posts

Back