Puma 1.7VCT stalling

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perdrix

Engine recently serviced by Chris Allison đź‘Ť.

The car is showing a tendency to stall when not fully warm without the air-con turned on, and when the air-con is turned on the engine stalls whenever it drops to idle.

Chris suggested that I replace the Lambda sensor in the top of the exhaust manifold, and I did that very soon after I got the car back from him.

Please advise:

• What's an IACV when it's at home?
  • How to clean inspect and test same?

Wouldn't Chris Allison have done all that when he did the engine service?
Thanks David

Hi David The idle control valve, is what he refers to .
There is plenty of info on this site if you use the search box to assist you with this task.

That power steering pressure switch is also known to cause idle problems. From memory it's at the front of the car, right hand side, at the bottom. You'll need to raise the car to see it.

The wiring is quite exposed and can fail. I think the switch tells ECU to give it more beans when pressure is too low, not certain on that.

There should be a very thin rubberised black metal gasket between the valve and manifold.

Yep I've bought some gasket paper which I use for things like this but to be honest it's barely any different to a cornflakes packet!

Hmmm... I thoroughly cleaned the Idle Control Valve with carb. cleaner, and checked for correct operation with a bench power supply. Now re-fitted with the correct gasket.

It's now back in the car, but it continues to stall on overrun - does the clutch switch tell it to give it more "beans" when the clutch is depressed?

When pulling up at a junction revs drop to 500 - this is when it's likely to stall. After about ten seconds or so, revs pick up to 750.

Is this still suggesting the IACV? If so I guess I need to replace it, or ...

If so what brands to go for (or to avoid)? There's lots out there: Intermotor, Kerr Nelson, Lemark, Lucas etc. etc.

David

OK guys, I replaced the Idle Control Valve. Car no longer stalls :)

But when I pull up at a junction the idle initially sits around 1700rpm for about 20 secs (guessing) and only then drops to 750 or so.

Any ideas of how to fix, or should I just call this a day?

David

Latest posts

Back