Complete overhaul parts list?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc757

If you were going to purchase a Puma (assume 1.7l) and replace every wear-and-tear item on the car such that it was in like-new condition, what parts would you replace? When I import one to the US, I'm going to need to bring parts over too because we have no equivalents on our continent.
Feel free to be as specific as you like, I'm just learning about these cars. All constructive input is welcome.

The first 3 items that spring to my mind: coilpack, the plastic termostate housing and the infamous heat control valve.

After that it all depends on the condition of the car in question, but these 3 items I would replace anyhow, just for the piece of mind as the question is not if any of those is going to fail, but WHEN :wink:

Which state in USA? Puma won't last long in NY, MA etc because of their salty winters. Arizona on the other hand would be perfect!

grogee said:
Which state in USA? Puma won't last long in NY, MA etc because of their salty winters. Arizona on the other hand would be perfect!
:lol: you are correct. The Northeast US is very hard on steel. I move quite frequently so I cant really predict where I will be when I bring one over.
If I actually do this, I will take very good care of the car wherever I happen to be located at the time, Ive got no interest in going to all that trouble and then making it my winter beater. :lol:

Here's an example of the type of list I'm thinking of. Right now, my knowledge is very high for 99-02 Cougars. So if someone asked me to list wear and tear items for Cougars, I would say something like this:
Front suspension:
-Ball joints
-Tie rod ends inner and outer
-CV axles
-Struts
-Strut mounts
-Sway bar endlinks
-Sway bar bushings
Rear Suspension:
-Trailing arm bushings
-Toe arms
-Control arms
-Sway bar bushings
-Sway bar endlinks
-Struts
-Strut mounts
Engine:
-blah blah blah
Miscellaneous:
-Blah blah blah

grogee said:
Where I live, we have salty and very salty winters (road gets covered with mixture of gravel and salt to prevent freezing, or to promote melting of snow and ice). If you take care of your cat, wash her regularely (especially from under) and act when needed, she will survive just fine.
You just treat her with undercarriage protection of bitumen type and every spring take car of stone chips

Latest posts

Back