Roadside repair parts to carry ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Woodward

I intend carrying a few spares for roadside repairs, but hoping never to use them !
Already carry tyre pump, tools, multi meter , basic OBD2 scanner, water, spare bulbs, fuses etc.
What other parts should I carry, just in case ?
HCV (already have a S/H pattern one)
Thermostat housing, (part no. would be appreciated)
Coil pack
Any other sensible suggestions.

Fluids, zip ties, duct tape, super glue, ratchet straps, a floor mat to lay on the ground, maybe some self-vulcanizing tape for rubber hose repairs, maybe some bits of various common wire sizes.

It's pretty hard to predict roadside mechanical emergencies. Either something gives you a warning before failure, or it doesn't. Carrying around a box of random parts will rarely be worth the trouble unless you know you've been neglecting something that could go at any time.

Been there, done that. Now, when you're as old as me, you just carry the contact details for the breakdown recovery service. :grin:

Thanks for the replies. I won't be neglecting my Puma, always look after my cars, I do have AA breakdown and recovery, but carrying a few essentials bits, go back to the days when I did a bit of rallying many, many years ago.
I'm planning a few trips to mid Wales, as I love driving the winding single track mountain roads, where you can go 20 miles without seeing another car or any speed camera's, but often there's no mobile signal, (we have phones that cover all 4 networks).

Hi John
I have tried a few aftermarket thermostat housings and allb have failed due to the plastic composition being of inferior quality and the plastic distorting ( so avoid the ebay & amazon housings made in china).
Changing it is labour intensive and in the "info on how" to section involving headlamp removal , Aux belt and Alternator removal.

So with that in mind the Eurocarparts Circoli branded part that also is listed for the 1.6 Focus is of good quality and is the only aftermarket housing that had the original Ford Part number stamped in it too! The Sealing rectangular rubber with a tank is also softer than the chinese counterparts that go rock hard and then leak!
The Eurocarparts /carparts4less.co.uk housing number is:Circoli Thermostat Housing Product Code: 200590020

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/thermostat-housings-gasket

That housing is the best of the non genuine parts and has not leaked after 15 months cost approx £8.50 delivered, using the 20% off discount code!

I would take a spare radiator top and a bottom hose , Gates are oe quality hoses , so I would search for them on ebay.

Thanks for the info, have ordered with 20% off, added a couple of air filters to get the free shipping.
Agree about Gates hoses etc. always specify their cambelts etc. for my Quantum 2+2, (they need changing every 3 years)

John Woodward said:
Thanks for the replies. I won't be neglecting my Puma, always look after my cars, I do have AA breakdown and recovery, but carrying a few essentials bits, go back to the days when I did a bit of rallying many, many years ago.
I'm planning a few trips to mid Wales, as I love driving the winding single track mountain roads, where you can go 20 miles without seeing another car or any speed camera's, but often there's no mobile signal, (we have phones that cover all 4 networks).
But you can hit the occasional sheep🤨

You see the odd sheep on the Elan valley road, but that tends to be a bit busy, might see 4 or more cars, even had to wait to get a good run at the hairpin bend, but my favourite drive doesn't ever seem to have any sheep, as its a bit far off the beaten track.

I carry a fire extinguisher. I've passed a couple of cars pulled over on the hard shoulder, where the owner's just had to stand there and watch it burn, so I figure I can at least try to keep it repairable if the worst ever happens.

I already carry a fire extinguisher, just in case. Removed it from my classic Mini before I sold it to purchase the Puma.

Latest posts

Back