My Second money pit Project.( Formally Spares Problem Solved)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi,

Well we all know that some spares particularly those unique to the Puma are becoming difficult to source. This is a situation that is only going to get worse as time goes by. Well, for some time I have been becoming concerned. I have already got a spare windscreen, front wings, passenger door and headlights.

Well today I solved the problem once and for all. I ended up buying an excellent condition black 2000 80k milage Puma, It has been well maintained with full service history with only a slight bubble on the drivers rear wheel arch. So I now have all the spares I need.

Regards,
Richard

But you'll be tempted to fix it then you'll need twice the spares!!!

Agree with grogee, I purchased a high mileage rusty arches Thunder for a spares car and the leather seats, it has MOT until early June, so as I had to tax and insure it to drive it home, I've been using it and fixing a few problems, now I've booked it in for an MOT. If I can get it through another MOT, I'll be using it as a daily driver, especially as I'm trying to keep the miles down on my tidy one, but really enjoy driving it.

My Brace of Puma's the new one on the right is the one for spares but it is more original and as good if not better condition then the one I have had for 17 years,
Regards
Richard

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 6,676
If you can find a double garage to put them in overnight, maybe nature will take its course and they'll make babies?

Hi.
Well I am using my spares car now as a daily driver, it drives so well and its condition is very good and bearing in mind the fact it has FSH and only 80k it is just a no go as regards spares now. I have booked it in for a new clutch and a cam belt change. Now that the situation has changed I will get a new MOT then I think I will sell it. I wonder if I made a mistake in buying it in the first place as I will loose money on it.
Regards,
Richard.

That's the least surprising thing I've read all day... :lol:
shocked face.png

I've been within weeks of retiring my '01 Cougar for about six years now. I've even bought two separate cars I was going to swap the guts from the 01 into but that never happened.

Why do you think you'll lose money on it Richard? If it was bought as a spares car, surely it wasn't outrageously expensive? And if you're selling as a good runner with low miles - prices starting to creep up, surely?

Why sell a perfectly good, cheap, DD? Just drive it. The cost of ownership once you put a new clutch in it should be next to nothing. Use it as a mileage sponge.

Is it possible that having an entire car as a spares car isn't practical and the reason for sale?

If not, keep it!

Hi
What you all say makes sense. I would keep it if I had a garage to keep one or other in and then alternate using my first modified one in the summer. But we will see in the fullness of time I love driving them both. As you can appreciate the have different characters.
Regards,
Richard.

Yep..I to have a nagging doubt my 49k parts car is too good to break as well.
IMG-20210810-WA0007.jpeg
Original exhaust...
20210810_195900.jpg
Perfect lower wings..
And I might even see if I can extract one rear wheel arch...The others had work by the look of it..

Attachments

• 20210810_202148.jpg
    20210810_202148.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6,377
I'm fortunate that I have a garage to keep my "nice" Puma in, so the tatty Thunder daily driver has space on the drive, which has space for 4 cars.
I really enjoy driving both my Puma's, so having one as a daily is great.
Have you room for a temporary garage, something like this https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage-workshop-green-4-5-x-3-x-2-4m?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAjgKvg0cE33n8Ck08WxxhfPQF-TvXewuBbbwuEEBtG5DDirZPPYW44aAouxEALw_wcB I used to have something similar for my classic Mini, which worked well in keeping the car protected from the elements.
Would it be possible to rent a garage locally ? I know of friends who rent a garage from a neighbour who no longer drives.

Hi.
The second money pit project is up and running. Last week I had a new clutch and cam belt fitted. It does not get any cheaper with the passing of time. I don't know how other owners find it but I did shop around on prices and I think that there has been a definite increase of prices compared with pre Covid. Whilst the car was in the garage I did go under the ramp with the mechanic to have a quick inspection as a pre check for the MOT. I was glad to find the car was solid with no rust apart from some minor surface stuff that would be okay with a wire brush and a bit of waxoil, that was a relief.

Regards,
Richard

Hi.
For a while now I have had it on my mind to sell this puma, mainly due to not having a garage or anywhere to store it. So, I have reluctantly put it up for sale. The add is due to appear after being checked by administrators.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Guys.

The Puma passed its MOT today after needing a replacement offside rear suspension bush and a rear nearside wheel bearing. There were a couple of advisories but I will rectify those in due course. Well that's it until December next year thank goodness.

Regards,
Richard.

PS I have the other one booked in for MOT on 16th December :p

Latest posts

Back