What wheels -specs compatibility

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCavan

Hi all, mine (1.6) has some horrible steel 14" (yes) wheels with a plastic cover, and as I don't drive a lot, don't know jacksh*t about cars and I'm always short of money, I haven't done nothing about it, but it's about time cause I need to change the tires anyway.

So I figure I'll get some 2nd hand alloys, 15" or 16" (unless I find a great deal for some 17" but fat chance) and the thing is I don't know what parameters I must stick to, as it's not mentioned in the user manual.

I only know by checking online shops that I need 4x108 (no margin there) and the offset should be around ET38, and needing some spacers if you go over... ET42 or something (?)... all those concepts being totally new to me, but I get now what they mean, and that big and wide is good however you don't want the tires touching the arches, breaks etc
So please illustrate me what parameters should I stick to, considering I only know how to remove some bolts, then the tires, then place other tires and the bolts again, no fancy stuff please (even those spacers is something to avoid in my case)

What's the min and max offset for 15", 16" and 17"?
What else do I MUST know for not messing up (e.g. max tire profile rate in case of 17" wheels)

Thanks in advance for not bashing me, I'm just not good at this!

The standard offset is ET34, the higher the number the more chance you will have of needing spacers to stop them fouling other components.

Likewise if the offset is too low then the wheels could protrude from the wheel arches, which is an MOT failure in the UK.

Have a read of our FAQ post about it here

Hi

I run Focus ST 170 wheels with 205/40/17 tyres. I also run 30 mm HR hubcentric spacers front and rear, you will need these spacers with the ST wheels, the bearings only load up the equivalent of 16mm spacers. Over the past six years there has been no problems with the wheel bearings. I have also fitted the equivalent of the FRP springs. I have had no issues what so ever with this set up.
Focus ST wheels are genuine ford, they are reasonably cheap and they add a period look, if that's what you are after. Photos of the car are on my project thread. My Puma.

Regards
Richard

What about the profile? FAQ and all over only J is mentiokned, but JJ rims can be used as well without bothering about it when buying tires, right?

Oh and the center bore: the hub is 63,4, so anything below that in the rim would need some adapter, like spacers with bigger bore, isn't it?

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
16mm spacers

i will buy also ST rims , tell me what i need to do to fit them, im wearing tatechnix coilovers , am i need spacer? this ST rims can support dimension 215/45/17 ? or only 205/40/17 ?. Thanks

Hi Fellow Puma owners.
You will need the spec I have with 30mm spacers and 205/40/17 tyres.
It is the only spec that I know that works and has no rubbing issues.
Regards
Richard.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi

I run Focus ST 170 wheels with 205/40/17 tyres. I also run 30 mm HR hubcentric spacers front and rear, you will need these spacers with the ST wheels, the bearings only load up the equivalent of 16mm spacers. Over the past six years there has been no problems with the wheel bearings. I have also fitted the equivalent of the FRP springs. I have had no issues what so ever with this set up.
Focus ST wheels are genuine ford, they are reasonably cheap and they add a period look, if that's what you are after. Photos of the car are on my project thread. My Puma.

Regards
Richard
Hello Richard i bought in a fair price used rims from Ford Focus st , but i have doubts that it will possible to fit them up , i wear also TATECHINCS coilvers.
if you know he magic combination for fit them reply to my message.
Tnx Andrew

Hi Andrew.
As far as I know my set up is the only one that works. I must admit I did not try any others as I worked it out on the dimensions. You can only fit a max size tyre of 205/40/17. I did offer up the ST rim with the Focus tyre on it, no way would it come near to fitting correctly. My springs are 35mm lower than standard. 35 mm could be a starting point for your coil overs. I can't see why it would not be possible to lower more.....suck it and see.

Regards
Richard.

I used to run 7" x 17" and 6" x 15" rims on my 1600 Puma.

Both worked well on it. The ride was harder on the 17" rims.

Attachments

• 20151010_172349.jpg
    20151010_172349.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Well not an easy topic with the Puma. Wheel center should be 63,3/63,4 depending on where you read but if you looking for Ford rims they'll always advise you right. Going under this value you will definitvely need custom spacers, going over (like I did with 65,1 wheel centric) there are wheel centric rings, but if you don't have to tuch this just don't. Go for 63,4 wheel centric if you can ;) Would also not advise you 17 inch rims, beceuse you might run into fitment issiues. Ideal ET is 34 or 38 depending on what you can find. As others says going 40 or more you might need spacers, going lower the wheel may be sticking out of fender but with ET 32/30 I think you should still be okey. So ideally you're looking for 15 or 16 inch wheel ET 34/38 6 or 6,5J and 63,4 wheel centric just to install it on the car and go ;) Most of same time period Ford wheels fit so this might get your live easier ;)

Hi there,
old Peugeot specs fit perfectly.
I've recently fitted OZ Wheels from a Peugeot. wheel center is OK, also I can stay on 6*15 which is crucial here in France (other dimensions are not MOT compliant) and ET19 => so no need of spacers !!!

Latest posts

Back