can't remove the instrument panel (and other problem on it)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

hello everyone, hope a great sunday. this morning my project was to remove the instrument panel because the front glass is broken and the kmh indicator it is not stable, and i remove the steering wheel and the silver trim, all with the correct method, but when i remove the last four screws in the instrument panel, this last one don't come out... in a 2002 ford puma 1.6 with the digital one i remove it easy, but in this one is like a thing in the rear that made it stuck in the console, can anyone help me? and i have another question why the kmh or mph indicator it isn't stable? and oscillates when i go? and if i buy another instrument panel from a 1.7 ford puma first tipe not digital can i replace it easy or there are electric chips that made for the car that born in it? at house i have the instrument panel from the 1.6 2002 ford puma digital, can i replace with this or is too much hard to do?
thanks to everyone :wink:

I've removed mine without too much of an issue. But it's a digital one.

I wonder if yours is an earlier one, it uses mechanical speedo drive and that would explain the wobbly needle problem. I suspect there is a cable drive to the back of the instruments that may be accessed behind the bulkhead. That cable goes to the gearbox and rotates proportional to road speed which drives the speedo.

You won't be able to replace mechanical drive with later digital version I think - your car won't have the electronic signal to drive the speedo.

thanks for the reply, yes the digital i have removed from the other 1.6 went out without problems, but this is the 97 version, the first version and i can't remove and i can't disconnect the wires from behind, anyone does know the correct method to remove this? thanks

Here is the relevant workshop manual instructions. Instrument cluster should pull out and bring speedo drive cable with it, which can then be unscrewed and removed

Attachments

• ins clust.JPG
    ins clust.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,060
Thanks a lot, i try this method but when i finish to unscrew, the instrument panel move and seems like to exit, but at one time, it stops and can't exit from is place. :-(

Latest posts

Back