Hard turns ABS lights on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviiim

Being honest I don't drive the puma easy on weekends. Perfect twisted roads in my local area were made for such car and it handles them very well.

In sharp ~90° turns when tyres start squeaking at such speeds the ABS and traction control light on. They go off after each abs self test when starting the car again, not right after some short time as I would expect.

Happens to anyone else?

Only reasons I could think that would happen would either be, loose/failing sensors and - or - loose/damaged connectors or wiring, either losing connection with the sudden movement. Or a very big shot in the dark would maybe be the wheel bearings are dodgy & affecting the sensors reading of the tone rings due to lateral wheel movement.

Take the last thought with a huge pinch of salt as I could be overthinking it :lol: If your bearing's were that bad you'd know about it I would have thought. :shock:

The wiring is collapsing inside the insulation. As you are cornering hard, the inertia is pulling the wire away from the bracket and it losses connectivity. That triggers the light. Once you stop, it is in correct position and the continuity is there, so the car passes self test and the light is off. You need new sensor(s) in front (I am 99% that is where the problem is). And that will pose a new problem as you will be trying to remove it from the hub... Be careful not to damage the tone ring while doing so (when you start the job, you will see what I meant)

Wild E. Coyote said:
The wiring is collapsing inside the insulation. As you are cornering hard, the inertia is pulling the wire away from the bracket and it losses connectivity. That triggers the light. Once you stop, it is in correct position and the continuity is there, so the car passes self test and the light is off. You need new sensor(s) in front (I am 99% that is where the problem is). And that will pose a new problem as you will be trying to remove it from the hub... Be careful not to damage the tone ring while doing so (when you start the job, you will see what I meant)

Thanks for the tip. I will soon become daily customer on local scrapyards at this rate of visits.

Testing of a sensor is easy. It should read resistance of 1000-1100 Ohms. Try moving the wires around and if you see drop of resistance to zero, that will be a tell

Latest posts

Back