Very hot engine and overheating (help)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

Hello guys, good morning, unfurtnately after replacing thermostat and its housing, hcv, coolant fluid, samco hoses and deep clean my radiator, the temperature gauge overcome the middle when i'm riding fast, when i open the bonnet, the engine is very hot, and emanates a smell like burnt metal, i never had gasoline car, i don't known if it is normal, the puma runs perfect, but i don't known if it is a problem or not, guys i'm not shure to use my car in this conditions, i want to have fun with my puma, like everyday, but i'm afraid of this :-( thanks to all

Have you checked the new thermostat is working ok? or that you don't have an air lock in the system?

Does the fan start when hot?

If you have done anything with the raditor connections did you put them back correctly? Sounds silly but the fan might be turning the wrong way - don't laugh, my mate helped me fit a switch to mine so I could turn it on permanently when I was driving on the Nurburgring, unfortunately he put the wires on the wrong way round & it got very hot as it was sucking air from the engine into the radiator. Luckily I realised what had happened very soon :lol:

You can check the temperatures the fan starts (normal & fast speed) using the digital odometer check mode - sorry, I forgot how. I "think" you press & hold the trip button before switching on the car then switch it on while still holding the button. You don't need to start it but you can if you want & then use it to check things while driving too. Simply cycle through the options to the one you want - temperature in this case.

Thanks guys, how can i check the air locked in my coolant system? I have pumped the hoses, but don't makes bubbles, yes the fan starts when the gauge is on the A of NORMAL, and how can i check if the wires is in the wrong position? What is the correct position? My puma is the 97/98 model and the digital odometer isn't present, i have the first series odometer, thanks to all :grin:

Anyone can help me? The problem continues and i don't wanna create damages in my puma :-(

To bleed the air from the cooling system, with a cold engine take the cap off the header tank and set the heating to hot and make sure the fan is blowing with vents open. Allow the engine to build up to operating temperature, this will take a while as you're not driving the car. It will probably take 15 - 20 minutes possibly longer. Once you stop seeing bubbles entering the header tank turn the car off and put the cap back on.

Latest posts

Back