Rear brake conversion?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ_Puma1.7

Hi guys, am planing to modify my 1.7 puma for tarmac/gravel rally use while maintain it road legal.
First thing am planing to do is to change rear brakes from drums to disks while relocating all the piping through the interior and removing ABS...
Would any of that deny me from rally racing or no... especially the conversion itself? :?:

iirc, most people use ford focus rear disks, use the search function at the top of the page, there should be loads of info

i just did it i used focus mk1 2ltre hubs disks calipers and pads,,, and handbrake cable from the same car, st150 handbrake cable fits too,,, im still trying to get the abs to work thats a bit more complicated :/

you need a copy of the s1400 or s1600 rally build manuals (car came as a kit from ford)

i have copies of both....

£15 for s1400, £25 for s1600

supplied by ford photocopied and spiral bound, 90-120 pages ish

not really....

the s1400 is a '£50,000' ish kit car that uses mainly standard parts....

the s1600 is a £100,000 plus kit car that uses some very trick custom made parts!!!

up to you which one would be more relevant!

id suggest s1400 but i'll have a look when im home at the brakes sections again and see...

I put a rear disc conversion on my car, it required a fair amount of tedious work to get the abs working but is now working fine :) i can help with a kind of guide unless you guys know? :)

To get the rear abs working you need to do a few things.

1. you need to get the original abs wires, but these wont fit in the hole that comes with the focus rear hubs as there abs wires are smaller. You need to drill this hole out to make your original wires to fit, you will probably have to shave the bracket that the bolt that holds the sensor in place as it will struggle to fit past.

2. you need to get your original tone rings off your drum brakes (the abs pick up rings) be careful when getting them off as not too bend them. With these tone rings you will have to make them fit onto your new wheel hubs. This involves getting your hubs machines down so the ring will fit and stay tight.

3.Lastly you will need to make some shims that fit behind the tone ring on the hub, as the gap between this and the sensor will be too large at first. i made some shims at 0.6mm 1mm in thickness and played about until it was correct. THE SPACING HAS TO BE 0.6MM OR LESS FOR THE ABS TO WORK CORRECTLY.

I hope this helps :)

Not a problem matey, its not in the best detail, but if you get stuck just give me a message :)

jacko said:
not really....

the s1400 is a '£50,000' ish kit car that uses mainly standard parts....

the s1600 is a £100,000 plus kit car that uses some very trick custom made parts!!!

Not quite that expensive!

VK14 kit was £20,000

VK16 kit was £35,000

http://www.motorsportsalmanac.com/mastuff/articles/RN_020124.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back