Puma Cup - Gearbox question....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonGlover

Hi Everyone,
New to this forum and hope someone can help. I made my debut in the Puma Cup a couple of days ago at Silverstone and had a relatively trouble free outing.
One problem I want solved sooner than later though is that the car kept popping out of 3rd gear when putting down the power out of some corners. All other gears were fine but 3rd seemed very loose for want of. Abetter word and sometimes needing physically holding in which resented other issues.
Does anyone have experience of this or similar before? Is it a known issue with a relatively simple fix?
Thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Jon.

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the site, good luck with your issue. I have not heard of this before personally, usually the Puma gearbox is solid.

Thanks Red - Some folk have mentioned linkages and what not but i`m hoping to narrow down before I commit to replacing the entire unit.
Hopefully someone can help.
Cheers
Jon.

Had this on a Suzuki once, it turned out to be the syncromesh ring worn out which popped the car out of 5th as you were driving along. Bit of an expensive fix on quite a crap car!

Alternatively as Red says it could be a linkage problem especially if the engine/gearbox is flexing hard on its mounts, pulling against the linkage mech.

I hope it's the latter for ease of repair!

Thanks folks - I'm at Oulton this coming Monday so will see how we go there and if it's still happening then it'll be a box and and let someone cleverer than me take a look. Linkages seem to be what most folk are saying though, not just on here but round the paddock too.
Cheers
Jon.

Latest posts

Back