Fuses wrong values?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clavfunk75

My Puma is a 1.7 from 2001. Had Fuse 30 blow on Thursday night causing me to end up on the grass verge on the A19. AA got me away again and yesterday I decided to look in the Aux fuse box to see what was what after looking at the handbook fuse layout and ratings. Bit shocked really as my fuse box looks to have a fair few wrong values in, notably Fuse 30 that blew had a 3amp in and my handbook says it should be 15.

What's going on here? Has somebody just stuck anything in prior to me purchasing it?

IMG_1462.jpg

First things first, is your handbook definitely for your year car? As it changed and the fuse boxes layouts were quite different I seem to recall.

There was a lot of history with the car, including 3 keys and all the service history with the manuals. I have no reason to believe the manual to be from another year/car. The layout in the handbook is the same as the car. As far as I'm aware aren't there only two types, the later 2000 onwards. I have seen two lay outs and the other one which I presume is the earlier one has Fuse 30 as a 3amp for the ABS module, However it is 15 in the handbook I have and correlates to the engine management. I lost throttle, dials and was unable to turn it over at all once I'd ground to a halt so I'm presuming it is as handbook and is engine management? Need to ascertain what's going on as I am reluctant to let my OH out in it incase the same thing happens.

clavfunk75 said:
[post]363155[/post] Need to ascertain what's going on
That would seem to be simple enough.

Remove Fuse 31 and then turn the ignition on. If you do not hear the fuel pump prime then you have the fuse layout as shown in your manual and should therefore check all the car fuses in both the Central Fuse Box and Auxillary Fuse Box and change the ratings of any that do not match those shown in the manual.

Yes YOG, that layout is the same in my handbook and also physically laid out the same in the fuse box as opposed to the earlier one where the fuses are physically laid out different.

Looks like I'll be doing some Sunday fuse buying today!

If I'm right then according to that diag and the pic for your fuse box you only need an additional 2x 10a fuses, the rest just need rearranged into the correct places! :)

Back