Cleaning the INSIDE of your headlights!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOK

OK have spent some time cleaning my headlamps- inside- to help get the maximum amount of light onto the road.
A fair amount of dirt and dust gets into and accumulates on the inside surface of the headlight and it can't be cleaned too easily. You can see this my turning the headlights on at night and seeing how much dust is illuminated by the beam inside the clear headlight cover- it isn't obvious in daylight. Even the slightest bit of dirt will diffuse the beam and reduce efficiency.
Seeing as my Puma is nearing 8 years old I thought it would be time to tackle the job seeing as I've adjusted the aim to get a good spread of light.

Lights removed from the car and in the bathtub to be washed. It pays to wash the outside of the body of the light first to prevent dirt getting inside.

I used Autoglym Interior Shampoo as a general cleaner and a sponge, rinsed off with clean water. Be careful not to use too much water and tilt the light away from the drain tube hole to avoid too much water getting in.

Clean on the outside helps keep it clean on the inside. Dry the outside off with an old towel.

This standard HB3 bulb has been in the dipped headlight for just 12 months and functions fine. Note the element has melted and shortened which has bent the element support slightly and the glass envelope has started to go white. This will not help the efficiency of the light. I replaced all 4 bulbs (main+dip) for £25ish with quality Gerlux bulbs from a motor factor (compare this to Halfords/dealer prices!)

You will now need to split the light. 4 clips hold it together, sandwiching a rubber seal. 'Pop' the clips carefully, don't force them or they will break and the light will not seal properly. Avoid touching the inside of the light unit.

I used an air blower to dust the inside of the reflectors and lenses.

With the front half you can safely rinse these off under cold running water. Fill the light up then swish the water around to clear out the loose dust and dirt.

Finish off the rinse by using plenty of DE-IONISED WATER. This is vital to avoid watermarking the inside of the headlight- if this happens the marking will be impossible to remove.

At this stage you must let the headlight air dry naturally. I left mine for 3 days in a warm well ventilated dust free room.

My favourite product for hard plastic surfaces is Crystal Glo. I've not seen anything that does it better.

The headlight must be totally dry before polishing the inside. I used Bounty towels as they produce little if any dust. Fold a small piece into a square then put the polish on sparingly.

Apply via the headlight holes, avoid getting the polish anywhere but on the clear inside cover.

Using circular motion apply in the areas you can reach. You will need to apply some pressure to lift the dirt so don't push the polish into areas you cannot reach.

I used a soft microfibre cloth, well shaken, to remove the polish. I reapplied and polished off 3 times to ensure good coverage. An impressive amount of dirt came off the first time I polished.

I also polished the glass lenses of the headlight units themselves. Finally put both halves of the headlight back together- listen for a positive *click* when the clips engage- finished off by polishing the outer cover with Crystal Glo.

Put the light back together and tested, looks much better, not bad for an 8 year old. There are a still lot of fine scratches on the cover caused by stone chipping which cannot be removed by polishing.

What a superb write up Col...

Has it made *that* much difference?

Think our 2 may be getting that treatment very soon :eek:k:

Mine for definite! There's lots of dirt on the inside of the cover, I can even see it in daylight. :( Plus with the o/s headlight, there's chunks of glass inside the unit that I really want to get out. It looks like the previous owner crunched up that light and wing, and they've replaced the headlight cover without checking all the fragments were out.

Dal said:
What a superb write up Col...

Has it made *that* much difference?

Think our 2 may be getting that treatment very soon :eek:k:

Well put this way, any improvement is worthwhile for a few quid :cool:
The bulb replacement is also important but often overlooked...as is headlight aim.

I'll see if the car is fit for demos later, to prove the headlights are NOT dangerously bad...

I replaced my bulbs recently and it gave at least a 30% more light. Curious to see how much more cleaning the inside will get.

Good write up, you have to be patient and ensure you don't need your car for a few days though!!

It amuses me that on the X-Type forum they all complain about how feeble their headlights are and fit HID conversions (Readily available for the Jaguar)

I go out at night with the standard lights on and worry that I'm dazzling people they seem so bright.

Puma headlights really are a weak point. Anything you can do to improve them has to be a worthwhile expenditure of time.

No, Harris, sadly Colin passed away last year, and his account wherever he hosted the images is no longer active.

Ah, :( well when I find some spare time, I'll follow the instructions and take as many pictures as possible to help?

Was Colin the one with the Millie? I'm sure I read the topics in the general section about him, sounded like a great bloke.

Harris, I did a post about when I cleaned mine. Can't remember how in depth I went but I put up a few pictures I'm sure.
One of mine was actually full of muddy crap ingrained on the inside. When I seperated everything I managed to clean it all out without 'that' much trouble and didn't need to use special water or leave them drying for ages. The difference was huge as you will see on the cleaned light photo I took.

As for Colin.....one of the best blokes you could ever of met :eek:k:

EDIT:- Found it...http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first post has been updated with pictures re-inserted after they were lost following Colin's (Bok) untimely passing and his online photo bank being lost.

Huge thanks to Rick (Yog) for emailing them to me to re-upload. Thanks.

Back